Has anyone tried these shock/struts? - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-07, 10:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Yeah BABY!

Car 1: 92 BLK/BLK LEGEND LS (Sold)
Car 2: 96 INTEGRA LS

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
What does the handling of your car feel like with the KYB's and the springs? I'm assuimg you are using Eibach or Vogtland springs? Do you feel that the combined upgrade gave you a better than OEM feel overall?[/QUOTE]

My car is handling pretty good. Eibach springs. I like the way they feel and look. I did it mostly for the look and I have no complaints. I just didn't have the cash to get better shocks. I got my shocks on ebay and installed them myself with a friend. I was looking at over 1k shocks plus installation for konis. Ended up paying a little less than $300 for kyb's installed.

05 TL Wheels
OEM TL Hid's 4300k
JDM Eyelids
Clear Corners
OEM? Fogs
KYB GR-2's
Dropped
eBay Intake
V6 emblems
35% / 20% tints
Kenwood Sub
Dinero19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-07, 10:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Autobahn Champion, Drive and Dodge Champion, Highway Hunter Champion

iTrader Score: 24 reviews
kyb's suck period. I've seen too many blow. Not legends as much but other cars. I've not heard too many ppl happy with the ride quality.

I would strongly recommend KONI's. its a much more quality shock. it'll last longer in the long run and you'll really enjoy the ride quality over anything else.

goto shox.com my friend ordered the koni kit (koni shocks and springs) from them, i told him to call them and sell them he is a forum member (he isn't but lurks) they sold him a set shipping under $600.

The ebay link u posted, looked like OEM replacement type shocks. probably like a monroe shock relabeled.

Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-07, 11:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
has left.

Car 1: 98.5 BMW M3 Coupe 5MT
Car 2: 95 L Sedan
Car 3: 95 6MT Coupe (Dad's)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Wow: under $600 for the kit? Now I'm super bitter that I put new front struts alone on last year...

Shox.com are good people: dealing with them for my rear sway bar purchase was a good experience.

ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | BOSTON ACOUSTICS
antik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-07, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antik View Post
Wow: under $600 for the kit? Now I'm super bitter that I put new front struts alone on last year...

Shox.com are good people: dealing with them for my rear sway bar purchase was a good experience.
yes sir, i was amazed too. its a really really good deal. especially shipped.

Old 10-28-07, 01:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Just my 2 cents:

I'm going with the KYB GR2's w/ the Vogtland springs from eBay for like $340+ shipping...cuz i can't stomach spending all that money either on suspension, i don't need more than a 1" drop either, and when I hit the FDR coming from the BX going to BK...man those roads are destructive on my Legend, cuz thats how my stock suspension got f*cked up in the first place. personally i still want the stock ride feeling.

but hey if you feel like blowing a wad of cash Astigracing got those JIC VIP coilovers if you want performance with comfort.
rsubibi241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-07, 04:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Car 1: '03 MR2 Spyder
Car 2: '92 LS Coupe
Car 3: '07 Mazda5

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alperovich View Post
kyb's suck period. I've seen too many blow. Not legends as much but other cars. I've not heard too many ppl happy with the ride quality.

I would strongly recommend KONI's. its a much more quality shock. it'll last longer in the long run and you'll really enjoy the ride quality over anything else.
Alperovich, what is the difference that makes the Koni ride better than the kyb ride?
Stock CAI mod
Telions Velvet II ECU
TheBlindMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-07, 09:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Cashmere Silver LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GoldenCoupe
I had my front struts replaced about a year ago with kyb's. To be quite honest, they ride the same as the busted up, owned OEM struts!!! Not to mention, I wasted money buying them, and now not only is one of them leaking but my control arms need to be replaced as well. Apparently from having too much load on them, aka bad struts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So i'm going the koni kit route and replacing all of my upper controls arms front and rear!!! I hate legends

My Legend's sad
GoldenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 12:36 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsubibi241 View Post
Just my 2 cents:

I'm going with the KYB GR2's w/ the Vogtland springs from eBay for like $340+ shipping...cuz i can't stomach spending all that money either on suspension, i don't need more than a 1" drop either, and when I hit the FDR coming from the BX going to BK...man those roads are destructive on my Legend, cuz thats how my stock suspension got f*cked up in the first place. personally i still want the stock ride feeling.

but hey if you feel like blowing a wad of cash Astigracing got those JIC VIP coilovers if you want performance with comfort.
exaclty, youvsaid it yourself why konis are better. remember you pay for what you get. the kyb shocks are just designed to fit a legend. they cheap crappy made prducts. that over time of abuse driving on thefdr will fail quicker.

why wouldnt you want to invest in good quality prducts for you car, especially if you are worried about the product not holdng up to abuse.

I would put Koni's being one of the better products made for our cars.

Old 10-29-07, 04:44 AM   #24 (permalink)

Car 1: '91L Cobalt Blue Sedan

what are the differences between koni reds and the koni sport kits?
HeyChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 05:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

KYB's and Eibach's here

I started with the Injen short ram intake, then had the Eibach performance lowering springs, KYB GR-s shocks and struts, and OBX headers, y-pipe, and downpipe all installed back in 4/07. And my 92' coupe became a car I always dreamed it could. I had been driving on a busted front shock for almost 6 months, so this was a convenient, but night and day change. Since then I have also added 16x7.5" ASA aluminum rims and performance Sumatomo tires. My Legend definatley sits down more, but handles with the best of them. Before I noticed alot of wobble and floatiness in high speed driving and aggressive cornering (felt like a caddy). Now I feel much more secure and in control of my car during cornering and at high speeds. All together the parts and labor were not cheap, but now its a car I wouldn't trade for anything. I've found you truely get what you pay for in performance parts, so if you're gonna shell out the cash make sure you've done your homework, and its what you're ready to pay for.
scottwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 07:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
has left.

Car 1: 98.5 BMW M3 Coupe 5MT
Car 2: 95 L Sedan
Car 3: 95 6MT Coupe (Dad's)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyChef View Post
what are the differences between koni reds and the koni sport kits?
For our cars, Koni only makes the non-adjustable Red. Even the yellow shocks in their kits (which generally include both shocks and springs) are just Koni Reds painted yellow: they lack the dampaner adjustability of Koni Yellows available for other cars.

ADDCO | MLS | KNUKONCEPTZ | ALPINE | ECLIPSE | JL AUDIO | BOSTON ACOUSTICS
antik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 02:28 AM   #27 (permalink)

Car 1: '91L Cobalt Blue Sedan

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
HeyChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 07:40 AM   #28 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 LS Sedan

Well gang, I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the Koni reds and the Eibach springs from Shox.com. I read enough reviews on Tirerack and here that persuaded me against the KYB's in the end, and I don't want to be doing this work twice.

What else should I replace while I'm in swapping the struts and springs? I'm all about going in once and replacing even marginal components so that I don't have to take everything apart 3 times to get one job done.
Old 11-06-07, 09:54 AM   #29 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCammedUp View Post
Well gang, I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the Koni reds and the Eibach springs from Shox.com. I read enough reviews on Tirerack and here that persuaded me against the KYB's in the end, and I don't want to be doing this work twice.

What else should I replace while I'm in swapping the struts and springs? I'm all about going in once and replacing even marginal components so that I don't have to take everything apart 3 times to get one job done.
Check ALL yor bushings....since your gonna be under there anyways and having most of the suspension tore apart....now is THE best time to get that stuff replaced.....who would want to have a exspensive suspension piece fail because of a $50 bushing? Nobody....so check that stuff out while your down there

(just replaced a of bushings in his Accord so he is very aware of that junk)
jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-07, 08:12 PM   #30 (permalink)

Car 1: '03 MR2 Spyder
Car 2: '92 LS Coupe
Car 3: '07 Mazda5

Upper ball joints. That means replacing both upper control arms since you can't get them separate. And don't get the cheap eBay ones, go for Lemforder or Moog or the likes.
Stock CAI mod
Telions Velvet II ECU
TheBlindMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension