Help, feels like flat after long drive. Won't accelerate - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-20, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 LEGEND COUPE LS Auto 27K miles
Car 2: 1993 Legend Coupe L
Car 3: 1995 Legend GS Sedan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Help, feels like flat after long drive. Won't accelerate

This is my third Legend G2 Coupe ('93), which is running great, as long as I don't try to take it on a long (over 30 mins) trip at highway speeds. After that time all of a sudden I get a rumble that feels like a flat or bearing problem which only subsides if I slow down, but starts again if I try to accelerate.

I remember having pretty-much the same issue on a my first '93 coupe, tried to figure it out, and finally some Acura Master Mechanic said it was the "Spindle". If I remember correctly he said the spindle would get a ridge cut into it, and when it got hot the wheel would drop into that ridge and wobble.

I didn't ask questions at the time, since it wasn't that expensive, and had the spindle replaced. Now when I tell my current mechanic he says that doesn't make any sense. It seems the term Spindle to some is the knuckle and to others it is the actual stud or shaft that goes through the knuckle. In any case I just want the shaking to stop. The other problem is what my mechanic is calling the spindle, I believe is the Knuckle and he says it's no longer available. HELP!!
EDOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-20, 03:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Honda Legend Coupe.

Hello~

I've a couple of questions: Where is this rumble coming from? Is this rumble accompanied by vibrations, or is it just purely a sound?

I ask, because I've also had rumbles at highway speeds. It was accompanied by a severe vibration; sort of like someone hammering the front wheels, or indeed, like a bearing problem as you've described.

Mine started anywhere between 90 km/h to 100 km/h (56 mph to 62 mph), and would occur anytime I'm in that speed range. It's more pronounced when the tires were cold, but when they warmed up the rumbling and vibrations lessened a little.

The rumbling and vibrations would mostly subside below or above that speed range.

Whenever it happened, it felt like acceleration was hampered a bit; much like what you're describing.

The culprit was both front lower control arm ball joints; they were shot.

Since replacing those, the rumbling and the vibrations stopped.

Another question: Do you hear clunking sounds when you turn or go over bumps? If yes, it could well be the ball joints. To my understanding, you check the conditions of the ball joints by jacking up the car, putting it on jackstands, and then shaking the wheel back and forth, side to side.

If it is indeed the lower ball joints, do be sure to replace both at the same time, even if one of them is in good condition.

Hopefully this helps, and that the problem gets solved soon!

Good day.

Last edited by Underthebluesky; 07-23-20 at 04:08 AM.
Underthebluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-20, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 LEGEND COUPE LS Auto 27K miles
Car 2: 1993 Legend Coupe L
Car 3: 1995 Legend GS Sedan

Yes the rumble is accompanied by a shaking, but it doesn't happen when I first get up to speed or ever if I don't drive consistently at high speed for over a half hour. That's why I don't think its ball joint. There is no noise or problem when turning, nor when car is cold at any speed/time. So heat at either the axel/wheel or transmission is causing the problem.
EDOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-20, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Honda Legend Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDOWEN View Post
Yes the rumble is accompanied by a shaking, but it doesn't happen when I first get up to speed or ever if I don't drive consistently at high speed for over a half hour. That's why I don't think its ball joint. There is no noise or problem when turning, nor when car is cold at any speed/time. So heat at either the axel/wheel or transmission is causing the problem.
Ah, I understand.

You mention the transmission as a possibility; perhaps you could check the condition of the fluid/oil?

Or while you're at it, perhaps even check the differential oil?

Perhaps the fluids/oils are in such poor condition, and being put under heat, load and stress...does something...I don't know. I'm not really knowledgable; I'm just throwing ideas out there. But it is something you could check.

In any case, hopefully this gets solved soon.

Good day.
Underthebluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension