lowered with 18"s, is it possible? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-02, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question lowered with 18"s, is it possible?

Sup fella's

I recently purchased a 93 ls sedan. I looking to get 18" wheels. Can I drop the car with 18" wheels, would it even need a drop? On my old 93 L Sedan I had 17"s and it had a small gap. If I do need to drop It I'm considering getting coil overs. does anyone out there have coil overs? If so how good are they? lastly If I do go with the 18"s, will they rub at all with or without a drop?

Thanks
toicy4ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-02, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
to avoid rubbing, you need to make sure the wheels you get are the following:

MINIMUM of +42 offset. +45 and above is higher (This is on a 7.5" wide wheel.) If you go wider than that, you need the offset to be closer to +51, like Fut (18 x 8, +51 offset). Stock offset for the Legend is +65....most aftermarket wheels are in the low 40's to high 30's

Sedans have smaller wheelwells than coupes, so stick with a 215/40 to 225/40 size tire

If you do lower it, I highly suggest GC Coilovers for Maximum flexibility...other than that, go for H + R and Koni's

Hope this helps
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback.

How much do the GC run for? or the koni and HR's?
I'm on a budget?

I heard somewhere that 18" rims would sit flush on a sedan without a drop. is this true?

Old 07-23-02, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by toicy4ya
Thanks for the feedback.

How much do the GC run for? or the koni and HR's?
I'm on a budget?

I heard somewhere that 18" rims would sit flush on a sedan without a drop. is this true?
I believe those GC's are going to run you 399.99 and the Koni are 125.00 each, so 500 buck for all four koni's.

Not sure about the drop on that sedan with 18's only, but I have a G2 coupe w/18's and I have only a two finger gap, and thats without aftermarket springs
CakeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a '95 sedan and I have 215/40/18"s dropped with H&R springs and Koni shocks. The drop is about 1.5". I got the springs from autodynamic.com for $218 each (cheapest I found anywhere!) and the Koni's from shox.com for $504 each (also the cheapest I found). My wheels tuck nicely too, I believe my offset is about +42. I am very happy with this setup, the ride is like stock and it handles great! I would definately recommend this setup to anyone with a legend.
T Radz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

if u'r in NYC, i suggest you get the coilovers. especially in the bronx. cops at the 52 house are very strict about negative camber and ride height.
here's the vehicle as it was stated to me by one of the cops that pulled me over:
the top of the headlight cannot be more less than 22inches off the ground. the car has to be at least 5 inches off the ground. he also told me that the way they spot these possible infractions is the negative camber on the cars.

if you don't go coilovers, i'd go with eibach sportline and koni shocks with the springs on the lower perch in the front and the middle perch in the rear. this will give you a slight drop and will fill the 2 finger gap with u'r 18's.
if you want to go extreme, get jrock's rsr springs (if he's still got em) and set them on the lowest perch all around. this will give you the slammed effect.

-j
aiznpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 11:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

azinpride

The Cops in NY are crazy... so how about i'm driving aroun in a Ferrari 360 Modnea... thoes coupes are slammed to the gound factory... they would still give me a ticket? That sucks...

BTW, do Ground ControlsW/ Konis help keep the camebr correct?
Old 07-23-02, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Ainzpride has the right idea. Maaaannn I feel bad for you guys in NYC Bronx). I can't believe they are shacking you all down for a lowered cars, camber, and low pointing head lights. You all have some real crime fighter in NYC (Bronx).
CakeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

thai, i think the modena clears the ground by 4.5-5 inches. the drop is similar to the corvette which clears by 5". also, if anyone was driving a ferrari in the bronx, i'm sure they'd get pulled over for something other than traffic infractions (i.e. drug dealer) =)
also, any time you lower the car from stock height, it'll give some negative camber. as to how much? i think it depends on the car. for some reason, another friend of mine with the same car, same suspension setup has more negative camber than i do.
-j
Old 07-23-02, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T WE
Car 2: 2002 Honda S2000

If your driving around in the Bronx with a 360 Modena you are either as Jae said a drug dealer or some really rich dude who got lost on his way up to his house in the Greenwich Conn. or maybe both.

Contact me if you need the following:
Alpine CHA-S634 Changer
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...hanger-132692/
HELM Factory Shop/Electrical Manual
Sedan Type-F floor mats
Driver Side seat (free)
Throttle Body
Avarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 03:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I cant afford the GC's right now. I guess i'll go withthe coilovers. does anyone know how wide in inches the gap is on a sedan with 18"'s without being dropped?

also if i go with 18"s what tire size exactly do i have to go with to minimize or have no rubbing at all?

sorry guys but I need to be certain. i know there's an offset but an offset on what? tires? or the rims? I get confused when it comes to this stuff.

thanks again. u guys are great!
Old 07-23-02, 03:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

for the wheel, i'd look into a 7.5-8 inch wheel with a minimum of 46mm offset.
as for the tires you can go 225/40/18's or 215/45/18's. i'd go with the 225's.

-j
Old 07-23-02, 08:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback aiznpride,

Wouldnt 7.5-8 inch be too wide? when you say 46mm offset is that on a tire or rim? and what does offset mean exactly?

The reason Im asking so many questions is because I had a 93 sedan previously with 17" rims and 225/45/17 tires without a drop and when people sat in the back it rubbed at times.

Also do you think the car would need a drop with 18" rims? Do you know how many inches in gap might remain?
Old 07-23-02, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fut

Car 1: Blk/Blk '94 GS 6 Speed [+] '90 LS 5 Speed Sedan

iTrader Score: 33 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fut
Quote:
Originally posted by Leon Millette
to avoid rubbing, you need to make sure the wheels you get are the following:

MINIMUM of +42 offset. +45 and above is higher (This is on a 7.5" wide wheel.) If you go wider than that, you need the offset to be closer to +51, like Fut (18 x 8, +51 offset).
Actually my rims (two sets of BBS RSIIs, one set chrome the other silver w/polished lips) are 18x8.5 +48 offset. I'm rollin' on Eibach springs w/Koni shocks, no rubbing, no complaints, plenty of compliments. Check tha sig!!!

One...

Fut

G1 Lowering Control Arms Group Buy
6 Confirmed Buyers - 4 Additional Buyers Needed

Last edited by Fut; 08-30-03 at 02:19 PM.
Fut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-02, 11:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend GS

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Roger
Quote:
Originally posted by toicy4ya
Thanks for the feedback aiznpride,

Wouldnt 7.5-8 inch be too wide? when you say 46mm offset is that on a tire or rim? and what does offset mean exactly?

The reason Im asking so many questions is because I had a 93 sedan previously with 17" rims and 225/45/17 tires without a drop and when people sat in the back it rubbed at times.

Also do you think the car would need a drop with 18" rims? Do you know how many inches in gap might remain?
you say you had 17's on a sedan with 225/45/27 tires and they would rub? the rims must have been a low offset

1995 Legend GS (sherwood Green)
My ride
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/608014
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension