Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum
 

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum (https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension (https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   My car feels like a boat at highway speeds - suspension help needed... (https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=112404)

AllCammedUp 10-26-07 09:21 PM

My car feels like a boat at highway speeds - suspension help needed...
 
Everyone,

My car feels a bit 'loose' and 'floaty' at highway speeds and I'm wondering what I need to look into to correct that. I've recently put some new old-stock 15" OEM wheels and tires and although the car rides smooth, it just feels 'sloppy'.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

BTW, the car has 136K on it, and from what I can tell it still has the stock struts/springs and everything else suspension-related appears to be stock, so I'm sure nothing has been replaced over the years (I'm the most current owner, not the original owner of the car), and I don't have the service records, so I don't know that some of the suspension hasn't been replaced at some point... it just doesn't feel like it, LOL.

GSteg 10-26-07 09:46 PM

If it feels like it, then most likely the OEM shocks are dead. I know mine are :P You get the spongy, unstable feeling on bumps and turns. If you want to reduce the boat feel, then get new shocks. While upgrading shocks wont make your car feel like a BMW M5, it's going to be better than blown shocks anyday.

Blackend 10-26-07 09:50 PM

Ksports will help that! :D

AllCammedUp 10-26-07 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSteg (Post 1148702)
If it feels like it, then most likely the OEM shocks are dead. I know mine are :P You get the spongy, unstable feeling on bumps and turns. If you want to reduce the boat feel, then get new shocks. While upgrading shocks wont make your car feel like a BMW M5, it's going to be better than blown shocks anyday.

Yep, that's a good synopsis, so I'll look into some new struts/shocks.

Blackened, are the KSports 'racer' components? I just want something that is a good solid upgrade from the stock components... not something that is adjustable, etc. and that will require me to 'tweak' on them. I just want to install replacements for OEM and get the problem resolved and an upgrade at the same time.

Blackend 10-26-07 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllCammedUp (Post 1148709)
Yep, that's a good synopsis, so I'll look into some new struts/shocks.

Blackened, are the KSports 'racer' components? I just want something that is a good solid upgrade from the stock components... not something that is adjustable, etc. and that will require me to 'tweak' on them. I just want to install replacements for OEM and get the problem resolved and an upgrade at the same time.

Yeah - Ksports are coilovers. I would look for an MLS strut brace, that does a TON for the handling of the Legend by itself. If that's still not enough for you, I would look to swap in some Koni Red shocks with the OEM springs, and then if that's still not enough, look for some Eibach springs (which will also lower you a bit.) After that, the mod-bug should be in full effect and you can pick up some sways, the rear tie bars, and then upgrade to Ksports...kinda my lifetime of suspension mods so far :D

BobbyGlide 10-26-07 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllCammedUp (Post 1148679)
Everyone,

My car feels a bit 'loose' and 'floaty' at highway speeds and I'm wondering what I need to look into to correct that. I've recently put some new old-stock 15" OEM wheels and tires and although the car rides smooth, it just feels 'sloppy'.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

BTW, the car has 136K on it, and from what I can tell it still has the stock struts/springs and everything else suspension-related appears to be stock, so I'm sure nothing has been replaced over the years (I'm the most current owner, not the original owner of the car), and I don't have the service records, so I don't know that some of the suspension hasn't been replaced at some point... it just doesn't feel like it, LOL.


I have Konis and Eibach, full stiff and lowest perch and my car feels 'loose' and 'bouncy/wavy'. Is this normal with this type of suspension setup?

Rob

Blackend 10-27-07 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyGlide (Post 1148771)
I have Konis and Eibach, full stiff and lowest perch and my car feels 'loose' and 'bouncy/wavy'. Is this normal with this type of suspension setup?

Rob

Imagine the way your suspension is setup - the OEM equipment was set to make the Legend handle like a sport/luxury vehicle, and you've stiffened up the shocks/springs now. Well, all that weight that made the ride so nice on OEM suspension is now upsetting the chassis because only one part of it (the 4 corners independently) is stiffer. You really need to tie those corners together by way of a strut bar and sway up front, and at least a sway in the rear if not some tie bars as well (or God forbid we ever get the rear strut bar designed, one of those too!)

Seriously though, I cannot speak highly enough of Fut's MLS strut brace as to how well it evens out our suspension and handling. It really is still my favorite mod for this car.

BobbyGlide 10-27-07 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackend (Post 1148839)
Imagine the way your suspension is setup - the OEM equipment was set to make the Legend handle like a sport/luxury vehicle, and you've stiffened up the shocks/springs now. Well, all that weight that made the ride so nice on OEM suspension is now upsetting the chassis because only one part of it (the 4 corners independently) is stiffer. You really need to tie those corners together by way of a strut bar and sway up front, and at least a sway in the rear if not some tie bars as well (or God forbid we ever get the rear strut bar designed, one of those too!)

Seriously though, I cannot speak highly enough of Fut's MLS strut brace as to how well it evens out our suspension and handling. It really is still my favorite mod for this car.

I have the MLS copy bar and an Addco rear sway bar installed as well and the car feels bouncy and unstable. I have Futs tie bars and a Addco frontsway bar that I havent yet installed. Maybe when there installed, the suspension feel will get better.

AllCammedUp 10-27-07 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackend (Post 1148748)
Yeah - Ksports are coilovers. I would look for an MLS strut brace, that does a TON for the handling of the Legend by itself. If that's still not enough for you, I would look to swap in some Koni Red shocks with the OEM springs, and then if that's still not enough, look for some Eibach springs (which will also lower you a bit.) After that, the mod-bug should be in full effect and you can pick up some sways, the rear tie bars, and then upgrade to Ksports...kinda my lifetime of suspension mods so far :D


I've got one of Fut's MLS Copy Bars in the garage waiting to go on... I just didnt' know if there would be improvement if the shocks were shot, so I've not installed it yet.

I'm hoping that with the engine dampner, the copy bar and new shocks/springs I'll be set up good for a bit.

Fut 10-27-07 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllCammedUp (Post 1148939)
I've got one of Fut's MLS Copy Bars in the garage waiting to go on... I've not installed it yet.

Dude you gotta get that puppy installed, the sooner the better.

One...

Fut :2cool:

AllCammedUp 10-27-07 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fut (Post 1149038)
Dude you gotta get that puppy installed, the sooner the better.

One...

Fut :2cool:

10-4 man. Will do! I just didn't know if it was worth it if the struts were kaput.

Fut 10-27-07 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllCammedUp (Post 1149126)
10-4 man. Will do! I just didn't know if it was worth it if the struts were kaput.

Install it now then post results so we'll all know. Do the same after instaling new struts. That's the best way to judge.

One...

Fut :2cool:

AllCammedUp 11-02-07 12:11 AM

I will install the copy bar this weekend to see what the difference is.

Does my description sound like my original problem will be remedied by new struts and springs? The car just feels 'sloppy' when going over bumps and breaks in the pavement... almost to the point where it seems to 'slide sideways' (if that makes sense) if it gets unsettled enough.

It's a pretty alarming feeling to go over a bump or a joist in the concrete and feel like your car is hydroplaning (slightly) off to one side. This only happens for a split second until the car has grip again, then all is well.

I just hope that this is the fix for the problem I'm describing. Thanks again.

Blackend 11-02-07 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllCammedUp (Post 1152725)
I will install the copy bar this weekend to see what the difference is.

Does my description sound like my original problem will be remedied by new struts and springs? The car just feels 'sloppy' when going over bumps and breaks in the pavement... almost to the point where it seems to 'slide sideways' (if that makes sense) if it gets unsettled enough.

It's a pretty alarming feeling to go over a bump or a joist in the concrete and feel like your car is hydroplaning (slightly) off to one side. This only happens for a split second until the car has grip again, then all is well.

I just hope that this is the fix for the problem I'm describing. Thanks again.

I would be willing to put money on the fact that after the MLS is on, that feeling goes away.

AllCammedUp 11-02-07 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackend (Post 1152751)
I would be willing to put money on the fact that after the MLS is on, that feeling goes away.

Hmm. Hopefully so!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© AutoGuide

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© AutoGuide