My car feels like a boat at highway speeds - suspension help needed... - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-07, 09:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 LS Sedan

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
My car feels like a boat at highway speeds - suspension help needed...

Everyone,

My car feels a bit 'loose' and 'floaty' at highway speeds and I'm wondering what I need to look into to correct that. I've recently put some new old-stock 15" OEM wheels and tires and although the car rides smooth, it just feels 'sloppy'.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

BTW, the car has 136K on it, and from what I can tell it still has the stock struts/springs and everything else suspension-related appears to be stock, so I'm sure nothing has been replaced over the years (I'm the most current owner, not the original owner of the car), and I don't have the service records, so I don't know that some of the suspension hasn't been replaced at some point... it just doesn't feel like it, LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-07, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 1992

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSteg
If it feels like it, then most likely the OEM shocks are dead. I know mine are You get the spongy, unstable feeling on bumps and turns. If you want to reduce the boat feel, then get new shocks. While upgrading shocks wont make your car feel like a BMW M5, it's going to be better than blown shocks anyday.
Old 10-26-07, 09:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Blackend Motorsports
3 Wheel Slot Machine Champion

Car 1: Blackend Motorsports
Car 2: 1995 LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Blackend Send a message via Yahoo to Blackend
Ksports will help that!

Old 10-26-07, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteg View Post
If it feels like it, then most likely the OEM shocks are dead. I know mine are You get the spongy, unstable feeling on bumps and turns. If you want to reduce the boat feel, then get new shocks. While upgrading shocks wont make your car feel like a BMW M5, it's going to be better than blown shocks anyday.
Yep, that's a good synopsis, so I'll look into some new struts/shocks.

Blackened, are the KSports 'racer' components? I just want something that is a good solid upgrade from the stock components... not something that is adjustable, etc. and that will require me to 'tweak' on them. I just want to install replacements for OEM and get the problem resolved and an upgrade at the same time.
Old 10-26-07, 11:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Blackend Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCammedUp View Post
Yep, that's a good synopsis, so I'll look into some new struts/shocks.

Blackened, are the KSports 'racer' components? I just want something that is a good solid upgrade from the stock components... not something that is adjustable, etc. and that will require me to 'tweak' on them. I just want to install replacements for OEM and get the problem resolved and an upgrade at the same time.
Yeah - Ksports are coilovers. I would look for an MLS strut brace, that does a TON for the handling of the Legend by itself. If that's still not enough for you, I would look to swap in some Koni Red shocks with the OEM springs, and then if that's still not enough, look for some Eibach springs (which will also lower you a bit.) After that, the mod-bug should be in full effect and you can pick up some sways, the rear tie bars, and then upgrade to Ksports...kinda my lifetime of suspension mods so far
Old 10-26-07, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend L Coupe
Car 2: 2011 Camry SE V6

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BobbyGlide
Quote:
Everyone,

My car feels a bit 'loose' and 'floaty' at highway speeds and I'm wondering what I need to look into to correct that. I've recently put some new old-stock 15" OEM wheels and tires and although the car rides smooth, it just feels 'sloppy'.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

BTW, the car has 136K on it, and from what I can tell it still has the stock struts/springs and everything else suspension-related appears to be stock, so I'm sure nothing has been replaced over the years (I'm the most current owner, not the original owner of the car), and I don't have the service records, so I don't know that some of the suspension hasn't been replaced at some point... it just doesn't feel like it, LOL.

I have Konis and Eibach, full stiff and lowest perch and my car feels 'loose' and 'bouncy/wavy'. Is this normal with this type of suspension setup?

Rob
BobbyGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-07, 01:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Blackend Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyGlide View Post
I have Konis and Eibach, full stiff and lowest perch and my car feels 'loose' and 'bouncy/wavy'. Is this normal with this type of suspension setup?

Rob
Imagine the way your suspension is setup - the OEM equipment was set to make the Legend handle like a sport/luxury vehicle, and you've stiffened up the shocks/springs now. Well, all that weight that made the ride so nice on OEM suspension is now upsetting the chassis because only one part of it (the 4 corners independently) is stiffer. You really need to tie those corners together by way of a strut bar and sway up front, and at least a sway in the rear if not some tie bars as well (or God forbid we ever get the rear strut bar designed, one of those too!)

Seriously though, I cannot speak highly enough of Fut's MLS strut brace as to how well it evens out our suspension and handling. It really is still my favorite mod for this car.
Old 10-27-07, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Acura Legend L Coupe
Car 2: 2011 Camry SE V6

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BobbyGlide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackend View Post
Imagine the way your suspension is setup - the OEM equipment was set to make the Legend handle like a sport/luxury vehicle, and you've stiffened up the shocks/springs now. Well, all that weight that made the ride so nice on OEM suspension is now upsetting the chassis because only one part of it (the 4 corners independently) is stiffer. You really need to tie those corners together by way of a strut bar and sway up front, and at least a sway in the rear if not some tie bars as well (or God forbid we ever get the rear strut bar designed, one of those too!)

Seriously though, I cannot speak highly enough of Fut's MLS strut brace as to how well it evens out our suspension and handling. It really is still my favorite mod for this car.
I have the MLS copy bar and an Addco rear sway bar installed as well and the car feels bouncy and unstable. I have Futs tie bars and a Addco frontsway bar that I havent yet installed. Maybe when there installed, the suspension feel will get better.
BobbyGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-07, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah - Ksports are coilovers. I would look for an MLS strut brace, that does a TON for the handling of the Legend by itself. If that's still not enough for you, I would look to swap in some Koni Red shocks with the OEM springs, and then if that's still not enough, look for some Eibach springs (which will also lower you a bit.) After that, the mod-bug should be in full effect and you can pick up some sways, the rear tie bars, and then upgrade to Ksports...kinda my lifetime of suspension mods so far

I've got one of Fut's MLS Copy Bars in the garage waiting to go on... I just didnt' know if there would be improvement if the shocks were shot, so I've not installed it yet.

I'm hoping that with the engine dampner, the copy bar and new shocks/springs I'll be set up good for a bit.
Old 10-27-07, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fut

Car 1: Blk/Blk '94 GS 6 Speed [+] '90 LS 5 Speed Sedan

iTrader Score: 33 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fut
Quote:
I've got one of Fut's MLS Copy Bars in the garage waiting to go on... I've not installed it yet.
Dude you gotta get that puppy installed, the sooner the better.

One...

Fut

G1 Lowering Control Arms Group Buy
6 Confirmed Buyers - 4 Additional Buyers Needed
Fut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-07, 06:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fut View Post
Dude you gotta get that puppy installed, the sooner the better.

One...

Fut
10-4 man. Will do! I just didn't know if it was worth it if the struts were kaput.
Old 10-27-07, 06:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fut

Car 1: Blk/Blk '94 GS 6 Speed [+] '90 LS 5 Speed Sedan

iTrader Score: 33 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fut
Quote:
10-4 man. Will do! I just didn't know if it was worth it if the struts were kaput.
Install it now then post results so we'll all know. Do the same after instaling new struts. That's the best way to judge.

One...

Fut

G1 Lowering Control Arms Group Buy
6 Confirmed Buyers - 4 Additional Buyers Needed
Fut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-07, 12:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

I will install the copy bar this weekend to see what the difference is.

Does my description sound like my original problem will be remedied by new struts and springs? The car just feels 'sloppy' when going over bumps and breaks in the pavement... almost to the point where it seems to 'slide sideways' (if that makes sense) if it gets unsettled enough.

It's a pretty alarming feeling to go over a bump or a joist in the concrete and feel like your car is hydroplaning (slightly) off to one side. This only happens for a split second until the car has grip again, then all is well.

I just hope that this is the fix for the problem I'm describing. Thanks again.
Old 11-02-07, 12:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Blackend Motorsports

Quote:
I will install the copy bar this weekend to see what the difference is.

Does my description sound like my original problem will be remedied by new struts and springs? The car just feels 'sloppy' when going over bumps and breaks in the pavement... almost to the point where it seems to 'slide sideways' (if that makes sense) if it gets unsettled enough.

It's a pretty alarming feeling to go over a bump or a joist in the concrete and feel like your car is hydroplaning (slightly) off to one side. This only happens for a split second until the car has grip again, then all is well.

I just hope that this is the fix for the problem I'm describing. Thanks again.
I would be willing to put money on the fact that after the MLS is on, that feeling goes away.
Old 11-02-07, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I would be willing to put money on the fact that after the MLS is on, that feeling goes away.
Hmm. Hopefully so!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension