Rear Struts Problem! - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-06, 08:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rear Struts Problem!

I Got The Rear Struts Replaced Last Week, and i keep hearing a clinging noise coming from the back as if there is a loose bolt hitting something, but at the same time my struts are absorbing shocks fine, any idea what that noise could be from?
caguas4999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-06, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 92' White Sedan

Send a message via AIM to knucks3man
when does it do it?

corners? bumps?
knucks3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-06, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

It Does IT when i when i hit small bumps.or bumps in general its almost like a squeaky sound, like a whole bunch of house keys hitting each other

Old 05-28-06, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Autobahn Champion, Drive and Dodge Champion, Highway Hunter Champion

iTrader Score: 24 reviews
what setup are you running? there is a plate at the top, it might be loose,

seen here as the damper mounting washer.

Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-06, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

its probably that washer. damn your right, i remember when he took out the washer, it looked loose.
Old 05-28-06, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

you need to remove the rear shelve, and then the speakers and the plastic cover over the strut mount, and use a 14mm wrench and a allen key to tighten that washer, it can be done with/out lifting the car up and with out removing the strut.

Old 05-29-06, 06:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Car 1: 97 Accord Wagon (SiR)
Car 2: 92 Lexus SC400

iTrader Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Shaar
i think i get this same noise you're speaking of... i assumed it was because i'm running oem shocks.... when i reassembled my strut/spring assemblies, i made sure the top nut was real tight. could that plate be moving or something?
Shaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

does matter what shocks you are running, when we did swifts setup recently we accidently left it to loose and it rattled and then noticed i did the same thing with my koni, you have to get the nut to the bottom of the thread and then tighten it just a little, else it might come loose after a while.

Old 05-29-06, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
acuradict

Car 1: 1994 acura legend 4 door L
Car 2: 2003 acura cls 6 spd
Car 3: 85 mustang GT

same problem with all stock suspension
acuradict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 10:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

alex, i tightened mine as hard as i could. i'm actually afraid that it might not come off ! so yea i'm not sure what my rattleing is...
Old 05-29-06, 01:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Soon to be BOOSTED!

Car 1: SOLD:91' Acura Legend Sedan LS
Car 2: 94' GS 6 Speed
Car 3: 94 GS 6 Speed(CLONE)

iTrader Score: 63 reviews
I also have or had a simular problem, the same noise and everything. About a year ago I replaced my suspension with new KYB's and the Eibach pro kit. During the winter months I was getting the same annoying sounds. However it has stopped know, maybe the laws of physics of expansion and contraction casused the problem during differnet Temps. I agree that the absorber washer could be loose, but on my situation I dont have an option of using an allen key. The top of my stut rods are almost round with two flat spots, one on each side of the rod. I cant get a good grip on it so I guess I will have to remove the rear stuts. Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by caguas4999
I Got The Rear Struts Replaced Last Week, and i keep hearing a clinging noise coming from the back as if there is a loose bolt hitting something, but at the same time my struts are absorbing shocks fine, any idea what that noise could be from?

SIG BY ALPEROVICH
MODS---ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!

Check out my gallery!
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ebirth-126357/

The project...
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...thread-120596/

Ksport Kontrol Group Buy!! $760 Shipped
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ed-123764-new/
emaculate94GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-06, 05:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaar
alex, i tightened mine as hard as i could. i'm actually afraid that it might not come off ! so yea i'm not sure what my rattleing is...
you should remove the speakers and see if the plate moves around. did u make sure to put in all the rubber insolators when you put the springs on.

Old 05-29-06, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaculate91ls
I also have or had a simular problem, the same noise and everything. About a year ago I replaced my suspension with new KYB's and the Eibach pro kit. During the winter months I was getting the same annoying sounds. However it has stopped know, maybe the laws of physics of expansion and contraction casused the problem during differnet Temps. I agree that the absorber washer could be loose, but on my situation I dont have an option of using an allen key. The top of my stut rods are almost round with two flat spots, one on each side of the rod. I cant get a good grip on it so I guess I will have to remove the rear stuts. Good Luck!
you gotta use locking pliers to hold the rob in place, ie vise grips, needle nose vise grips are the best to use, it a bitch, but if i'm not mistaking only the front has that and the rear have the allen key type, at least on koni, menroe, and stockers

Old 05-29-06, 10:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
0000$$$$0000####0000

Car 1: Acura

If everything you try still doesn't fix the problem try replacing the bump stops. Yes, that was my problem believe it or not. When I redid my suspension the first time, the bump stops in the rear were in in sub par shape. I figured they are only bump stops so I reused them. I must have tightened and rebuilt the assembly many times with no luck getting rid off that rattle. I changed the bump stops and the rattle when away. Don't ask me what it was doing to cause the rattle but aat least it worked for me. Might as well try that as a last resport since you would have to disassemble the shocks to change them.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-06, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

all the rubber fittings are on.. i dont know about the condition of the bump stop... it looked ok to me.. maybe when i get koni's i'll get some polyurethane ones or whatever its called.. just some new ones... i'll have to see if all that stuff rattles or moves around when i pull off the deck lid tomorrow. i'm pretty damn sure its tight as can be. i assembled it as tight as i could. if i get rear koni's and new bumpstops, set hte koni's to medium perch, i would think that it would stop the rattling.. which would be awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension