What's all the fascination.... - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

サ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
サ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Bling? Offset? Dish? Get it all here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-07, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: Vertex Lexus RX330 Harrier
Car 2: Job Design Lexus GS3
Car 3: Widebody Lexus SC430

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Legendtoo
What's all the fascination....

....about cheap chrome 20's ????

Am I really that out of touch thinking 20's are too big for a Legend? I can't get over how many people are going the huge wheel, SUV lifted, tiny rotor look. Maybe it's just the purist in me.....but I really just don't get it at all. Or, maybe I'm just and old fart.
Legendtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-07, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
naaa...not old fart, classier look maybe. I dont think 20's look good unless EXTREMELY tasteful which is tuff to come by on our cars....I am not the biggest fan of em either...19's is enough....almost borderline too large....I believe rotors should be upgraded also...which I am still in the process of doing myself so I am guilty...although I am running 18's
jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-07, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Well i like them cause they look good to me on the legend! i like my legends custom not stock but nothings wrong with stock legends either but there just not for me! Love to see em custom but i also love to seem stock!
L3GDKANG/JDM-KANG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-07, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Car 1: why?

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to B+O
cheap wheels are cheap wheels. No two ways about that. I'm not a big fan of cheap wheels.

but i've seen examples in person of 18s that look WAY TOO SMALL for the body and 19s that look too big, and i've seen examples of 20s that fit perfectly.

It depends on the wheel. there was a huge opposition to large 22" and 23" wheels on muscle cars(like the baracuda) from the "hotrod" crowd but they acquiesced that the larger wheels actually look good on the cars, and look more like a foose/boyd coddington drawing than 18s could have ever wanted to.

I don't have a problem with progression to larger wheels, what ever floats the driver's boat. I'm more of a clean lines kind of guy, and i truly did not like that newfangled VIP stuff. i liked the old boxy sharp clean lines of the VIP cars before this whole "EXE" style crap came out.

also VIP cars are going bigger than 19s now on the older platforms, so it's not like the progression is going to stop. Y33s and Sentias on 20s now. only thing for people who "refuse" it are to move over and let chips fall where they may
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 03:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

I wish i had 20's...
93gold_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B+O View Post
also VIP cars are going bigger than 19s now on the older platforms, so it's not like the progression is going to stop. Y33s and Sentias on 20s now. only thing for people who "refuse" it are to move over and let chips fall where they may

The Y33 Cima...Sentia...and even the older Celsiors and Aristo's can support 20's because the car is physically larger. Also, the majority of the VIP platforms (if not all by definition) are rear wheel drive, which you can run lower offsets...even in the single digits in the back with a huge lip!!!

The Legend's front wheel drive configuration and the physical size of the car itself cannot support a 20" wheel, in my opinion. Some of the most visually unappealing mods are a wheel that's too large for the car, sitting at stock height giving it an SUV look, with a high offset where there is little to no lip and rotors that look like a nickel sitting in the middle of the wheel. 20's with no lip = WEAK ..

L3GDKANG, I'm still confuse on your comment.....so, simply by thowing 20's on a Legend makes it "modified" ????
Old 01-21-07, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
dvp
レジェンド

Car 1: 2002 Black Infiniti Q45

Quote:
Originally Posted by B+O View Post
cheap wheels are cheap wheels. No two ways about that. I'm not a big fan of cheap wheels.

I'm more of a clean lines kind of guy, and i truly did not like that newfangled VIP stuff. i liked the old boxy sharp clean lines of the VIP cars before this whole "EXE" style crap came out.

Its all about proportionality, I would never go with twenties on a legend because the body itself just doesn't seem large enough to balance out the wheel size visually. So that to me rules out the majority of 20 inch wheels. Also most manufacturer's who make a 20 inch wheel the average legend owner can afford are simply of hideous design and quality with horrible chrome finish.
I like both newer and older style VIP, running a F50 I really like mixing the round shapes of the newer platform cars, with a traditional squared off body kit, which is why I am leaning back to running a JP kit. Also I will probably run 19's so I can lower the car further than with 20's.

D.

"I have a master plan"

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and those who buy by price alone are this man's lawful prey."-John Ruskin

"Being able to afford to buy a Legend and being able to afford a Legend are two different things. Realize that little, if anything post-purchase on a Legend is "cheap"." the GS

pierinimob: But i love the JIC's the turning is orgasmic, i wouldnt go back to stock ever
dvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 11:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Autobahn Champion, Drive and Dodge Champion, Highway Hunter Champion

iTrader Score: 24 reviews
i so agree with where this thread is going.

Not only do i think that 20' don't fit, is that most of the 20' i've seen ppl put on legends are very very poorly lookin wheels with no style to match the car at all.

THey make the car just look hideous. I used to have 20' (still have them in my garage) but in no way on a legend, and my 20' were kinda cheap they were american racing wheels, however the TRUCK i had them on, they still looked small, but where pretty good quality actually, i used them thru two winters, no damage, untill i hit a curb turning at 55MPH and put a slight dent in the rim, which didn't even let the tires leak.

our cars are just not designed for wheels that big. IMO 19's are the biggest wheels taht should be installed. IMO most of 20's on legends just make it look Ghetto. IF you get nice 20' right width and offset, and do it right, it might look good.

These are my dream wheels, 19's

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Displ...inish=Polished

Alperovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendtoo View Post
The Y33 Cima...Sentia...and even the older Celsiors and Aristo's can support 20's because the car is physically larger. Also, the majority of the VIP platforms (if not all by definition) are rear wheel drive, which you can run lower offsets...even in the single digits in the back with a huge lip!!!

The Legend's front wheel drive configuration and the physical size of the car itself cannot support a 20" wheel, in my opinion. Some of the most visually unappealing mods are a wheel that's too large for the car, sitting at stock height giving it an SUV look, with a high offset where there is little to no lip and rotors that look like a nickel sitting in the middle of the wheel. 20's with no lip = WEAK ..

L3GDKANG, I'm still confuse on your comment.....so, simply by thowing 20's on a Legend makes it "modified" ????
no i said i like mod legends wheel dont make the car mod to me it's just part of the mod!
L3GDKANG/JDM-KANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Chopper Challenge Champion

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
I've actually seen a couple (1 or 2) of instances where 20's fit (relatively) nicely into the Legend's wheel well, and the wheels themselves looks nice.

What most of us are against are the people who will throw 20s on them just for the sole purpose of saying "Yo, I'm rollin on 20s!!!!". The majority of these cases 1) Have cheap looking rims with some elaborate chrome design, 2) The ride height is stock, giving it that 4x4 look, and 3) May also have an incorrect offset, further giving it that Jeep Wrangler "wheels stick out farther than the body" look... all for the sake of saying you got 20s.

If the wheel looks nice (may not always be within one's budget), and they've done enough research to adjust the ride height accordingly (along with possible fender/wheel well work), and buy a wheel with the correct dimensions (width, offset, tire size), it CAN be done without looking like crap...

May still be a bit big for the taste of some, but throwing non-properly fitting 20s on it just so you can have the biggest rims possible just looks goofy as hell.
Banana! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendtoo
actually the sentia is lower and narrower than the Legend. wheel wells are about the same size. it just has "low offset" capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymac117
I've actually seen a couple (1 or 2) of instances where 20's fit (relatively) nicely into the Legend's wheel well, and the wheels themselves looks nice.

What most of us are against are the people who will throw 20s on them just for the sole purpose of saying "Yo, I'm rollin on 20s!!!!". The majority of these cases 1) Have cheap looking rims with some elaborate chrome design, 2) The ride height is stock, giving it that 4x4 look, and 3) May also have an incorrect offset, further giving it that Jeep Wrangler "wheels stick out farther than the body" look... all for the sake of saying you got 20s.

If the wheel looks nice (may not always be within one's budget), and they've done enough research to adjust the ride height accordingly (along with possible fender/wheel well work), and buy a wheel with the correct dimensions (width, offset, tire size), it CAN be done without looking like crap...

May still be a bit big for the taste of some, but throwing non-properly fitting 20s on it just so you can have the biggest rims possible just looks goofy as hell.
this is exactly how i feel. i've seen more than a few instances of well fitting 20s on legends, TLs and CLs down here, though. even on the Mazda Millenia. That said, the wheel design is usually "meh"

If it's not your taste, it's not your taste, shove off and do you. Let those people who want to proclaim "I got 20s yo" do that. For the record, i seriously dislike stupidly low cars/mini trucks, there's no point and it's a waste of metal/engine and is a hazard to everyone on the road. hydraulics, maybe, but if you can't even raise your car more than 3-5 inches off the ground (as is the case with minitrucks with airbags) it's retarded and a waste...

everybody has differing tastes. and far be it for someone else to tell you your taste is "gaudy" or "stupid" because you're going to like what you like. whether it be A 70s shag-wagon or a JDM Civic Type R. Can you guys just get off everyone's nuts you think is "ruining the car" and let them do their own thing and help where you can?

Last edited by B+O; 01-21-07 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-21-07, 01:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Also...my question is...

how is 19 okay, but 20 is too big?

that's 19 right? you're telling me by stepping up to a 20 the WHOLE balance (if there is one to begin with ) of the car would have been off?, i think not. especially with it being as loud, obnoxious, and as some of you would say "ricey" as it is, a set of 20" wheels with the same design wouldn't have looked ANY different. and if you think otherwise, continue reading...

I think it's all in not wanting to be associated with people who "roll twenties" for whatever reason more than actually thinking the wheel is too big.
Old 01-21-07, 08:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
Again, I think it boils down to the wheel choice and balance. Throw some nice 20s with the correct offset and good lips on it, and then you are talking.
Not the ugly 20s from Pep Boys....nice 20s.

Wait til I get my Legend, I will show y'all how to do it up right, especially since I am going to be Kentucky/Ohio Valley's distributor for wheels from a new company (multipiece, custom paint, forged..... )
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-07, 09:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

It's about proportionality..... Here are 2 pics of a Legend (hopefully this is not a members car) which shows a high offset skinny wheel that's just too big for the car vs. a rear wheel drive large sedan that you can put 10.5" +30 offset in the back and get a large lip.

Both cars have 20's, but it's a matter of balance. The Legend almost looks like a cartoon car....

....and yes, there is a big difference between a 19" wheel and a 20" wheel.....

If you want to run a 20 on a Legend and you like it.....that's fine. I just think it's too big..... maybe it's just me....
Old 01-21-07, 11:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Millette View Post
Again, I think it boils down to the wheel choice and balance. Throw some nice 20s with the correct offset and good lips on it, and then you are talking.
Not the ugly 20s from Pep Boys....nice 20s.

Wait til I get my Legend, I will show y'all how to do it up right, especially since I am going to be Kentucky/Ohio Valley's distributor for wheels from a new company (multipiece, custom paint, forged..... )
I can't wait i know you'll do it right!

Mark

you choose the worst shot, low angle picture of a set of cheap 20 wheels on a Legend and expect it to make a point. You've given "props" to a set of 20s on a Legend and i will pull up the post if you want me to. why renege now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension