Acura Legend Forum banner

Looking for methods of how to dye your interior

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  lisahar 
#1 ·
Is there any methods of dying your interior moldings? I'm sure it's possible but the results are in question. I plan on replacing my tan interior moldings to black as well as my center console to black but if I can use a cost effective alternative through dyes with a deep black I'm very interested.

#2 ·
Found a write up on another forum while googling.

You must use vinyl dyes, preferences depend on how your finished product is desired.
So you either can go cheap or high quality

Ill be trying the cheaper method with spray cans as I will be removing the interior trim to avoid the need for guns overspray and taping.

Begin by cleaning the peices with warm water and soap, only used water based cleaners to clean and degrease years of interior cleaners and finishes.
Make sure to scrub and scrub prep work is everything to ensure a quality finished product.

Move on to applying cheap lacquer thinner, only use lacquer thinner. The trick is to soften up the trim moldings for better adhesion. The trick is to soften up the vinyl or plastic but do not over apply as you will begin smoothing out the grain on the trim moldings.

Remove and or tape off the part you will be spraying.
Apply a thin and spotty coat without intent of fully covering the part and let dry, the purpose of this is to give the dye better adhesion. ( sounds like a method to paint cars but I guess it's universal)

Continue to spray a clean and even coat until the finished product looks as desired. How many coats required I do not know as I have never used vinyl dyes.

Take into accordance of which color dyes you will be needing as well as glass or satin finishes as I have not yet experimented this and do know which will mimic the factory finish of 2g legends.

I will have to try this sometime next week and will post photos as soon as I can. :)

#3 · (Edited)
There are a couple ways to go, Krylon (cheaper alternative) Rustoleum (mid priced) SEM (expensive but tried and true) The key to professional looking, long lasting refinishing is prep work. Any dirt, oils, or residue left behind will result in poor adhesion and greatly shorten the life of the restore.

#4 ·
Well you could put what your looking for in the wanted section and hit up your local parts yard. I've had to piece my black interior together a few times just to source that right part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.