DIY for those looking to hook-up JDM one-piece lights - Page 2 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-06, 05:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
is that diagram up top wrong or am i just dumb?!!? I have it perfect and it does not sound that way when you read the instructions written out...please help!
KJLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-06, 12:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

ok i figured it out...and that is totally wrong on that diagram! dont follow that diagram it does not work right. you have to cross wires in order to use it, and it still wont work. Use 1 relay per headlight and hook them up seperately! and follow the typed instructions above! Thank you Train for the help and no thanks mike diaz for your diagram, its all good it just wasted like 4 hours of my time and 20 dollars in wires but oh well.
Old 06-08-06, 01:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJLegend
ok i figured it out...and that is totally wrong on that diagram! dont follow that diagram it does not work right. you have to cross wires in order to use it, and it still wont work. Use 1 relay per headlight and hook them up seperately! and follow the typed instructions above! Thank you Train for the help and no thanks mike diaz for your diagram, its all good it just wasted like 4 hours of my time and 20 dollars in wires but oh well.
So you only need one relay for each headlight? What did you do with the fogs?
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-06, 01:54 AM   #19 (permalink)

I hooked them up to a seperate switch inside the car, and connected them together w/o a relay, just power then ground the other wire. It was simple I would rather have the option of having the fogs on or off at any time i want instead of having them on when the headlights are on, I dk it worked out better for me this way i dont know about you. But when you hook your lights up for the highs and low dont use the diagram up top it wont work right...any questions PM me I did that crap 3 different ways so im a pro by now..,
Old 10-25-06, 12:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
whatever happend to the wire diagram pics for this post?
L3GDKANG/JDM-KANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 09:47 AM   #21 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3GKANG
whatever happend to the wire diagram pics for this post?
Not sure. It's definitely not being hosted anymore. Let me find the pic.
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-06, 11:03 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Diaz
Not sure. It's definitely not being hosted anymore. Let me find the pic.
thanks mike!
Old 11-11-06, 06:30 PM   #23 (permalink)
94 6MT KA7_8

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
here's a diagram of how i wired up my JDMs (thanks to train for his info), as u can tell this is the correct method to wire the highs and lows so one or the other is switched on (not both), if u're unsure about which USDM wire is which, just connect them to the relays and u'll find out if u got it right when u switch ur lights on.. hope this helps:

Need discount software? Check out www.CheapAntiVirus.com!

Last edited by VDM GS; 02-08-07 at 08:52 PM.
VDM GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 06:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
94 6MT KA7_8

as u can tell u wired it up so the FOGS turn on when the parking lights turn on, (so i dont forget to turn off my fogs, unless i forget to turn off my lights!) and you can opt to install a switch where i pointed out. the other method is to wire up a switch to the 86 and 85 terminals and switch the FOGS on urself every time.

Old 11-11-06, 08:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyLegends View Post
here's a diagram of how i wired up my JDMs (thanks to train for his info), as u can tell this is the correct method to wire the highs and lows so one or the other is switched on (not both), if u're unsure about which USDM wire is which, just connect them to the relays and u'll find out if u got it right when u switch ur lights on.. hope this helps:
thanks alot!
Old 11-13-06, 05:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
EDM KA8 owner

Car 1: EDM KA8 '91
Car 2: EDM KA8 '91 RIP

iTrader Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via MSN to lgnd
lgnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-06, 10:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
GS/LS Conversion

Car 1: 1995 L Sedan
Car 2: 1995 Ls Coupe

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
DO The h4h Bulbs come in the Hid Conversions Kits?
Old 11-18-06, 08:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
94 6MT KA7_8

if u find hid conversion kits specifically for H4H like the one below then yes
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-J...spagenameZWDVW

Old 11-28-06, 01:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
MAD DOG!

Car 1: 97 honda prelude
Car 2: 92 LEGEND LS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
hey mike how come in the diagram it says constant on on the parking light wire?? and could i just splice into all the wires before the usdm harnesses so i can just get back to stock later for safety check..sorry about all the questions. and i dont think the HID kit listed above has both high and low function. but only glanced so correct me if im wrong. jdm should be coming in tomorrow. Great DIY
Old 11-28-06, 10:13 PM   #30 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 L Sedan
Car 2: 91 LS Coupe

Send a message via AIM to MrPeacock72 Send a message via Yahoo to MrPeacock72 Send a message via Skype™ to MrPeacock72
I hope the mods don't mind me adding some additional info to this thread. I figured it would be helpful to someone. I wasn't aware this was even a possibility. I took this from a thread that I started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeacock72 View Post
WORD TO THE WISE: If you ever plan on doing the mod yourself, do not buy your relays from Oreilly's Autoparts. Although they are 5-pin SPDT relays (Single Pole, Double Throw), they are NOT the correct ones that you need. The correct ones have pins for 30, 85, 86, 87, and 87a. The relays from Oreily's are 30, 85, 86, 87, and 87. That "a" makes a HUGE difference and I'll explain the difference below.

I'm 'bout to go into DYI mode:

When you send power (low beam from the car) to the 30, it should send it directly out the 87a (to the low beam wire on the JDM harness), which will be your default setting. And when you activate the high beam wire (from the car), power is sent to the relay coil 85 to shut the low beam filament off and activate the 87 high beam filament (the high beam wire on your JDM harness).

Oreilly's relays:

Since there is no 87a pin on the relay, and just two 87 pins, there is no low beam, or default setting. When you send power to their 85 relay coil, both filaments activate, since there are two 87 pins, prematurely burning up your bulbs and possibly your wiring. Basically, when you turn your lights on, you have no low beams at all, but you flick the switch and you have lows and highs coming on at the same time. That's not suppose to happen. You're only suppose to have one filament come on at a time.

It took me 3 days of anger, frustration, trial, and error to finally figure out that it wasn't my wiring that was wrong, it's just that I had bought 4 brand new pieces of "caca el toro." That's "bullsh*t" for those who don't speak Spanish. Your best bet is to get some Bosch or Bosch-style relays from ebay. and make sure you look for the 87a. I hope this helped or helps someone out so you have to endure what I endured. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Being that I'm somewhat of an expert at these things now, I may be able to help you out if you don't understand something.

Daryll
MrPeacock72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs