The Bare TRUTH about Legend headers - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications from intake to suspension to rotors to etc. :)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-31-02, 05:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
The Bare TRUTH about Legend headers

As some of you have noticed, my decline in replying- or even visiting the legend community online. Maybe im just gettin old like DAVE C or ALEXEI, even though he's never around anymore. Anyway ive been working and scheming with one of the best guys in the business and when the best in the business tells you his opinion its usually as valid as scripture in stone.

Long Tube headers, defined as individual tubes comming off of each exhaust port 19-24 inches, into a collector, then into one tube and then a Y. better defined as 3-1 on each side.

The design is the most optimal, Guaranteed 40+WHP High claims!? yea i know its hard to belive, but he swears by it.
However, they cant be made because it would require you to rip out you heads or the entire block to install. same goes for uninstallation. Probably NOT EMISSION friendly.

WHY?

WE DONT HAVE ROOM, NONE. For an experienced header builder/designer to say, "damn theres no room" then that means theres no room.

Alternative, Short tube headers. Defined as individual tubes off of each exhaust port in to a collerctor 6-12 inches and in to a single tube then to a Y. 15-30WHP.

Doesnt sound to bad huh? well its gets worse. even the short tube headers are to big, however if you use smaller than optimal pipes then it will fit. so from 3/4 - 5/8 dimater you go down to 1/4-1/2. HP could literaly be cut in half or reduced to mere nothing.

BUT, since we have stock LOG exhaust manifolds, LOG meaning that the exhaust ports share the same outlet holes, and escape through the same very small exit to the exhaust manifold hole. we should gain at LEAST 10WHP, since the stock is such a poor design.

doesnt sound like much, well be optimistic i still think it will output 15-20 WHP thats 18-24 HP to the crank N/A which isint bad considering Under NOS, its doubled.

So whats the hold up? well frankly its still going to cost the same amount of money to produce. where there was once the thought that 30+WHP could be achived the fact it cost 1100-1300 could be understood coonsidering the parts avalible for the car, but with a yeild of 15-20 it sounds less appealing to the people that just arent that rich.

Id still do it 15-20 is worth 1100-1300, but im aming for 1000-1100.

So my Statement and question is clear, DONT expect the Legend to yeild A MAJOR WHP # unless you tear apart the car to install a set of long tube headers ever, and whos still willing to go ahead with anywhere in the vicinity of 10-20 WHP?

Quality as we all know it is impeacable, aircraft Grade SS mandrel bends smooth as glass welds inside and out and C&C machined flanges.

Let me know what you all think by replying to this thread, Any stupid, retarded, and unessasary replies should be directed to LegendTypeRKon thread in this very forum about LONG TUBE HEADERS, i will not tolerate uselessness.

~Hybrid
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-02, 06:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
E K
Junior Mint

Car 1: 91 Legend, 03 G35

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I agree 100% with the install issue. This is not going to be a simple job.

I'm still willing to put up $1000 for 10 WHP. The stock log manifolds drive me nuts. They designed a great engine, then stick on the most retarded design for exhaust manifolds.

Any word on when we might be able to see these headers?

91 Acura Legend Sedan LS 173 HP/180 torque sold
03.5 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT sold
06 Infiniti Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
07 Honda Civic GX
E K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
*r**h *eller

Car 1: 07 TSX
Car 2: 08 Odyssey
Car 3: The roller skate

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dave C ver2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Dave C ver2.0
Don't I know it. What really makes it difficult is having the axels right under the center cylinder where you would normally route shorties. Type I engines are even worse with having to rig up the air suction tube connection.

I had 1 dickhead shop here say $5K because of the clearance issues, so $1K don't sound bad to me. Also compare to $500 to extrude hone you stock manifolds and it looks even better.

I've already had one shop throw up it's hands half way through the left side, still looking for another brave soul to try the job.

All I can say is good luck Christian.

Now what happened with those JDM Type II headers???????

Old 07-31-02, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
I agree Christian. I am with you on this one. Will these shorties be emissions legal?

And I REALLY appreciate you coming out and telling us what's going on, some people as you mentioned blow a lot of soke and have no fire to support it. I won't be able to install the mtil after NOPI, but I am sure it will take a moment to finish R + D anyways.

do it man
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
B**k F***er

Car 1: 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC
Car 2: 1995 Mazda Miata
Car 3: 2014 Kawasaki Versys

Send a message via ICQ to NickD Send a message via AIM to NickD Send a message via Yahoo to NickD Send a message via Skype™ to NickD
Thanks for all the info DV8.

I think I am going to go ahead and send my exaust manifolds to Extrude Hone though. Mostly because of time/money restraints really. We can do a comparo on Extrude Hone (~15hp claimed for $500) vs. Shorty headers (~15 - ~20hp claimed for $1100).

I defiently believe your shorty headers will meet your claims... I still believe 15hp from the extrude hone is optimistic but I'll send my manifolds out probably when I get back from vacation in 3 weeks and we'll see what Extrude Hone says when they see them.

Unfortunatly I can not do a before/after dyno and I am doing too many modification at once to determine just the performance increase from the Extrude Hone job so I guess it will be difficult to do a real comparison. I will however be going to a dyno after I finish up my car sometime mid/late September.
NickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
DSL

Car 1: '93 white coupe 3.5 type II 6sp

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DSL
i got a question/suggestion...

i have no idea if this will work, but is it not possible to make our headers like motorcycle style, where you use either springs or bolts to attach the tubes together ( i think its called "slip on") . then all that would have to be done is to install smaller parts, then assemble under the car...
DSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Dv8 knows what's up

Everyone out there should believe Dv8 if he says they won't fit then they won't fit! If anyone has researched Headers for our Legends it's Christian. He knows his sh-t. As for that other guy who claims he can get them for $600 (long tube), obviously his "mechanic" is trying to screw him.

Don't be fooled by misconceptions.......if your gonna do it, do it right.
2low2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Looks like we'll just have to find other ways to gain this kinda power in our Legends? Turbo,
Old 08-01-02, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Carbon Black Metallic 6-Speed Coupe
Car 2: 2007 Audi A6 4.2

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedDemon
Looks like we'll just have to find other ways to gain this kinda power in our Legends? Turbo,
What sucks is if it's almost impossible to make any type of headers for our engines, a turbo would also yield the same difficulties. A turbo will require a much more complex exhaust manifold system then a set of headers.

A supercharger right now seems like the most feasable, however even with a SC, you will require a set of good headers to compensate for FI.

Only if our cars were RWD, then maybe we wouldn't have these damn clearance issues.

G

1995 Legend Coupe 6-speed
Carbon Black Metallic

208 WHP @ 6250 RPM
189 FT/LB @ 5250 RPM
MUSTANG Dyno
260,000mi and counting

WeaponR Secret Weapon Intake - Cold Air Box - Custom 2.5" stainless exhaust system - Remus Rev3 Universal muffler -SPEC Stage II clutch - 5speed flywheel - SR5GUY Chip - APEXi S-AFC - Pullies - MLS copy strut bar - Short Shifter -18" ICON W65 Wheels - KONI reds/Ground Controls - Slotted Brembo Rotors - SS Brake lines - Walbro 255 -ICE
theGodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, then lets make them rear wheel drive :p. Hehe
Old 08-01-02, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
B**k F***er

Car 1: 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC
Car 2: 1995 Mazda Miata
Car 3: 2014 Kawasaki Versys

Send a message via ICQ to NickD Send a message via AIM to NickD Send a message via Yahoo to NickD Send a message via Skype™ to NickD
Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedDemon
Well, then lets make them rear wheel drive :p. Hehe
A RWD version of the Legend does exist. It's called a BMW 530i

That is what the Legend would have been if Acura went RWD and didn't chop of the RLs nuts.
NickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hmm, yeah, but us coupe guys would be more right there with a BMW 330ci. I feel honestly that the BMW 330Ci/M3 (E46), is equally as gorgeous as a Legend Coupe if not more so; especially the M3.
Old 08-03-02, 09:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

DV8,

I agree with you. I gave up on long tube headers and have been mostly looking into short tube, high performance manifold options. I think header install/uninstall will always be difficult no matter what design, so I consider that a given. No modifications are emissions friendly since more hp means more fuel burning, hence increased emissions. I have a few questions and I would appreciate it if you would take the time to answer them.

1. How are you intending to route the headers and where exactly are the fitment issues for long or short headers? I am assuming he intends to go straight down and then back.

2. Is this an "untuned" design. I am more interested in increased airflow than tuning. Tuning short tube headers would produce peaks in the high end and I am looking for low end (long tube). Would these headers provide the gains you mentioned for most of the RPM range?

3. Is the high cost a result of manufacturing or design? After you have validated the prototypes you could probably have them built elsewhere in quantity for much less.

4. What is needed to start the project and what kind of a time frame are we looking at?

Sorry for the long post, but I am quite interested in putting the talk and opinions aside and finally seeing something done. Let me know how I can be of assistance.

Chris
CWA-94GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 03:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by CWA-94GS
DV8,

I agree with you. I gave up on long tube headers and have been mostly looking into short tube, high performance manifold options. I think header install/uninstall will always be difficult no matter what design, so I consider that a given. No modifications are emissions friendly since more hp means more fuel burning, hence increased emissions. I have a few questions and I would appreciate it if you would take the time to answer them.

1. How are you intending to route the headers and where exactly are the fitment issues for long or short headers? I am assuming he intends to go straight down and then back.

2. Is this an "untuned" design. I am more interested in increased airflow than tuning. Tuning short tube headers would produce peaks in the high end and I am looking for low end (long tube). Would these headers provide the gains you mentioned for most of the RPM range?

3. Is the high cost a result of manufacturing or design? After you have validated the prototypes you could probably have them built elsewhere in quantity for much less.

4. What is needed to start the project and what kind of a time frame are we looking at?

Sorry for the long post, but I am quite interested in putting the talk and opinions aside and finally seeing something done. Let me know how I can be of assistance.

Chris
Fitment issues are mainly comming off the heads. the shock towers are real close. The new manifold would have to be made at a 90 degree angle to try and stray from the tower, then the differntial and hald axel pose a problem not to mention the wrap around torwards the Y pipe junction. The cure is smaller diameter piping, but to small is not good.

The purpose of these headers are to uncap all possable airflow, period. but with the tuners extensive knowlegde he can and will do tuning with stepped and reversion if he deems it possable and nessasary.

Nobody has the balls or the intrest in trying to make them, i have a little edge on my current tuner because he kinda of owes me. Allthough the prototype would be made then the copies would be made else where, its still $$.

MY tuner works slow, but if i dropped the money in his lap he'd have no excuse not to start right away. id give him 3months to come up with the final design.like i stated before he has my engine in his shop. the design would be verified by placing it on my own legend.

What it comes down to is money, a good set of anything needs time and time means MONEY. If i get two Legend owners willing to put up 800-1000 each in addition with my funds, it will come true. NOBODY will ever be jipped by me, i obiously provide nothing but pure performance, starting from the FIRST TYPEII engine swap, [email protected] to CustOm Legend CAI's.

Once made the two that contributed their amount would go torwards their own set most likley discounted for their efforts.

ANYONE interested, please speak up, its time.
~Hybrid
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-02, 09:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
E K
Junior Mint

Car 1: 91 Legend, 03 G35

DV8,

If I put up X amount of $$ now, would I get X amout off the total price of the headers once complete?

I can put up $1000 right now (only through check though). Email me if you want to talk.

91 Acura Legend Sedan LS 173 HP/180 torque sold
03.5 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT sold
06 Infiniti Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
07 Honda Civic GX
E K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications