Overheating: Theory #1 - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-02, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: '95 Coupe
Car 2: '94 Sedan GS
Car 3: '90 Coupe

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to FutureX 2001 Send a message via AIM to FutureX 2001 Send a message via MSN to FutureX 2001
Overheating: Theory #1

I developed a theory, will find out tomorrow if this is it. Okay first off, fluid levels in the car are fine, there are no leaks whatsoever.

Now,
I've noticed the fans don't always go on when my car overheats, but before this, I changed the Thermostat. It was quite interesting, when I changed the Thermostat, the car didn't heat up too much, almost seemed as if the problem was gone, then it started doing it again and with time, became much worse. The fluid would bubble and be thrown into the resevoir tank, at times, once it was cool, and not all the fluids where returned to the radiator, I would open the radiator cap, and apply some water there, then, change out the water in the resevoir tank to 50/50.

Took it to a local mechanic, he said radiator, and wants to put that in, but I have taken my radiator to a shop where they open it up, check for dirtyness/cracks, clean it, seal it up again. They said mine had no cracks or much dirt at all to begin with.

I think, the problem might be the Fan Control Sensor, or "Switch" located at the base of the Radiator. If this isn't operating properly, or only operates sometimes, it isn't sending the signal to the Fan Relays to operate properly. Thus, water overheats slightly, or gradually. However, It was quite odd when I changed the Thermostat the first time, the prob seemed to go away. Maybe, if the Fan Control Sensor is malfunctioning the water Temp rises too much and messed up my Thermostat. Causing it to get stuck close more often, and become faulty, that would explain why when I changed it, it seemed "okay for a while".

Also, it didn't help the first time when I changed the thermostat, I didn't properly bleed the air out.

So tomorrow, I'm thinking, drain all fluid, change Fan Control Sensor/Switch. Change Thermostat again, Bleed Air. And run it.

The needle sometimes dropped down rather quickly. I'm guessing the sensor which reads the temp of the water, is located closer to the engine, where it focuses more on the headgasket or more dangerous to overheat areas of the car... and if my Thermostat messes up because the Fan Control Sensor is making the fluids run too hot... perhaps, when it does "unstick" the water rushing through it cools almost immediatly a bit causing it to jump down fast.

Wonder if I can run the car without a thermostat as a test too.

Well I'll try everything else first! hope it's not the water pump or headgasket death, maybe this is what causes it to mess up in the first place.
FutureX 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-02, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Your theory is perhaps dead on.

My Legend was doing the heat and cool thing long ago.

Turns out the relay and temp sending unit were both bad. On the temp sending unit (bottom of radiator) the poles were shot.

Good like with the diagnostic and replacement of the parts. Sure seems as if you have been going through this headache for quite some time.
KNLNGUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Car 1: 94 ls 6-speed black on tan

how do you bleed the system?
jigga622 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-02, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: '95 Coupe
Car 2: '94 Sedan GS
Car 3: '90 Coupe

Send a message via ICQ to FutureX 2001 Send a message via AIM to FutureX 2001 Send a message via MSN to FutureX 2001
Jigga, I haven't checked out the exact procedure, but there's a little bolt near the thermostat area, you set the heater inside to max, and let it out through there. Ask Leon, he's done it recently I believe

Will know by the end of today I hope...
FutureX 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 03:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

coolant air bleed. heres the scoop, on top of the large radiator hose there is a small nut (10 mm i believe) you let the car cool and then i think it is recomended to jack it up to let the coolant drain further back? not sure on the jacking, but you let the car warm up for 5 minutes and then open the nut slowly. it will spurt air and coolant in intervals. as soon as it spurts coolant only, tighten the nut(put a rag on your ratchet handle so it doesnt burn your hand). Then add a little bit of water to replace the lost coolant.

good luck
(Leon coached me thru this on IM)
and ive done it twice, it works

peace
T
tnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

here is a diagram to help you...

click HERE
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 08:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey FutureX,

I run my car without a thermostat right now and it worked like a charm with heat.
My car use to do the same stuff as your car and I got fed up with it. I think theres a small leak in my HG but theres no coolant in oil and no smokes. Theres no sign of HG problem just the temp went up and down. Before I remove the thermostat my fans not even on, Its only on when overheated but after taking thermostat out everything seems to work fine. I hope you dont have a HG problem good luck!!
Van. Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 10:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
I also don run a thermostat. Granted the car preforms better because its always cold but the gas milage does go to crap, because the car is always idling high to get warm. Also plan on replacing the plugs more often, the extra fuel thrown in by the ECU fouls them out sooner. Lastly you feel misfires, gentle if not subtle ones. My temp doesnt peak over half unless i really beat it up on the freeway many times over 120.

~Hybrid
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-02, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

DV8,

I thought I was the only one without a thermostat. Oh no wonder my car feels faster since I remove the thermostat. Yeah I agree with you with gas, I get bad gas mileage. Hey, at least it keeps my car cool until I have money for JDM motor and labor.
Van. Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-04, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
bump for the newbs
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-04, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Gold Acura Legend LS
Car 2: 2006 Toyota Sienna

Exclamation

Running without the thermostat is NOT a good idea. your doing more harm than good ...If its fouling out your plugs what do u think its doing to your valves and rings?
QUOTE FROM ~Hybrid Dv8.... I also don run a thermostat. Granted the car preforms better because its always cold but the gas milage does go to crap, because the car is always idling high to get warm. Also plan on replacing the plugs more often, the extra fuel thrown in by the ECU fouls them out sooner. Lastly you feel misfires, gentle if not subtle ones. My temp doesnt peak over half unless i really beat it up on the freeway many times over 120.

ROBBANKS
robbanks111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-04, 12:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Try this cause i have had this problem since the car was giving to me. and i just solved it last week. 1st check your fuse in your car make sure it isnt blown. Then Check the Relys.

I found out my fuse kept blowing and come to find out my rely was bad and once the fan would come on it would blow every fuse i put in there.

Hope that might help
fsulegend92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-04, 12:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: '95LS Milano Red 6spd Coupe

Send a message via AIM to misdeismo
if the engine is supposed to work at an optimum temp that the thermostat is supposed to regulate wouldnt that be detrimental to remove? cooler in not always better as an engine that is too cold will have worse mileage, like some of you have and also increase wear on the engine since frictional forces are increased. correct me if im wrong.

theory sounds good but i was thinkin, does the fan come on when driving? i thought that the speed of the car drives enough air over the radiator to make it unnecessary for the fans to run. usually when idling they come on since not enough air is passing over the radiator. i recommend that at least once every 1-3 months you let your car idle for about 2 minutes and check to see that the fans come on.
Old 06-16-04, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I am having the exact (and I mean exact as in drive thru's etc.) problem as Future X and I would like any solutions people have come to that are permanent. I have gone through 2 thermostats after checking everything else and nothing seems to work.
Dethred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-04, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
LPB

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Due to the Legend's infamous proclivity to eat head-gaskets, the cooling system should always be optimally maintained. This includes using an OEM thermostat and replacing the thermosensor when the radiator is changed.

The idea of bringing the vehicle up to operating temp with the A/C on and waiting for both fans to start is a good idea. You could have a fan control or timer problem.
LPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)