OEM Cabin Air Filter Replacement with NON Oem Filter - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-02, 07:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Talking OEM Cabin Air Filter Replacement with NON Oem Filter

I dont know where the first one of these went but I'll give you what I know but I don't have the pictures or anything of how to get to the OEM Air Filter and honestly don't feel like typing it out step by step and all that jazz. Maybe someone else will

Ok, I replaced my OEM Cabin Air cleaner/filter with a NON-OEM filter b/c the stock one is a total joke, its nothing but cheap Cardboard that's about 1" thick roughly. If you ever looked at a cardboard box and noticed how at the ends it has a honey-comb or Truss type of construction that is all this stupid OEM filter is, it's a total Joke and is WAY expensive for what it does, NOTHING.

Its only there to stop big things like leaves from getting into your car or AC system, a total joke. So things like allergens (pollen, mold, yada yada yada...), insects, bugs, spiders, moths, etc... all get in your car nice and easy like, hardly any resistance at all! What I did was go down to Home Depot to the Home Furnace Air Filter section. I suggest two they have there, one is low priced and will make lots and lots of filters and is also washable and reusable, the other is a bit higher priced and will easily make 4 filters, more than that and you need to have some good skills also it is not washable and reusable.

Before installing the new filter make sure to use your vaccum to clean out the whole area inside/near the blower, get all the leaves & junk you possibly can, you'll thank me later for this.

Filter #1
I don't remember the name, but it is a plastic like material (some sort of synthetic fiber of sorts) it is BLUE in color (color may vary) costs about $4 each and is a cut to fit type of filter. It only comes in one size for the home so people that buy it for their Furnace cut it to match the size of their old filter. It is very sturdy and looks to be quite well made. It will trap allergens & critters much much better than the OEM filter and has higher airflow and costs less, and is much much better than the OEM filter

Before installing the new filter make sure to use your vaccum to clean out the whole area inside/near the blower, get all the leaves & junk you possibly can, you'll thank me later for this.

Take your old cabin filter out, it's about 1" thick and is a pretty simple design. Put the OEM filter in one of the corners of the new filter, take a black sharpie pen (or other color easy to see) and trace the layout of the OEM filter on to the New filter with the sharpie. When done with that take your scissors or shears or whatever you have and cut it to fit. Be very careful with your cutting on this, you want it to be as close as possible to the OEM one, it's better for it to be 1mm larger than the OEM than any smaller/shorter/whatever. Your ready to install the new filter, have fun and enjoy better breathing & better AC flow.

Filter #2
At Home Depot for about $8-9 you can get the base line or "RED" 3M filter home ac/furnace air filter. With this filter you get 4 chances at making a replacement filter to get rid of that crappy OEM filter wannabe. You might as well get the biggest size filter of that level, remember to get the RED and RED only class filter by 3M, none of the others I saw at Home Depot were sturdy enough to make this project work. They all should be the same exact price for this level of filter from 3M, at least it was at my Home Depot. Anyway, you need to take the old OEM filter out and place it on top of the new 3M filter in one of the 4 corners. It has a arrow showing the proper direction of airflow, if memory serves me the little wire mesh backing goes towards the blower motor itself, or towards the passenger side of the car on G2 Legends. Since this filter or any other like it isn't sturdy enough on its own to hold up to the forces generated in any Forced Air system, it has cardboard backing all the way around it, as well as some little cardboard strips going over the entire filter in a X type of pattern if my memory serves me.

You want to make this new filter so that the bottom and the back of the New filter has the hard cardboard backing on it so it will slide in really easy and not get caught up on anything or not cover the entire distance of the opening. So when you place your OEM filter on the 3M filter keep that in mind before you mark or cut anything. If you have to, visualize it in your head or sit inside the car while you do this so you don't forget which way it goes in. Also remember to make sure your following the airflow pattern properly (pretty sure it's with the wire mesh towards the Passenger side door or towards the blower, mind you I only know for the G2 Legend), trace your OEM filter onto the New 3M filter with your sharpie. Cut it with a pair of scissors or shears or whatever you have that will make a nice clean perfect cut line. The cut phase is so very important, if you cut it with the wrong side facing up or make a sloppy cut your not going to get a good seal & your wasting your time. It is very important that you leave ALL the cardboard material that supports the filter on it, do NOT remove it unless you are very clever and creative & good with your hands b/c you'll need to reinforce it some other way if you take the cardboard off it. This includes the cardboard on both sides of the filter going in an "X" pattern (pretty sure it was an X pattern) leave it on as well, do NOT remove ANY of the cardboard unless you want more work cut out for you. Now your ready to install the filter with the cardboard on the bottom and the back, it should slide in tightly but w/o problems Just don't push it in by holding onto the filter part of it use the cardboard to use as a push device.

YOUR DONE!!! Enjoy nice, clean, allergen-free breathable air. If you would rather have me make you one and ship it to you just email me and we'll work something out. If I get enough requests I'll split the costs up between those interested. whatac[email protected]

If your a very daring kind of guy and are very good with your hands & at making precision things you can remove all the cardboard backing & make a wood frame that is EXACTLY the same size as the OEM filter dimentions, it's not very easy and it'll take some thought into it, but if your good at making things out of wood & are good with your hands, have a creative mind, etc... you'll be just fine. email me if you have any questions or concerns.
Mtnduey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-02, 11:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here are the pics I took for a previous thread, Mtnduey go ahead and use them to explain what yor thread using these if they will help...

-Ben

Ben Hedrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-02, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Great thread. Yeah I agree, the OEM filter is shameful piece of crap. Shame on the bums at Honda. Are they serious in thinking that this piece of cardboard would act like a filter?

At any rate, I use the washable blue kind of filter like you described. It's sort of sturdy, looks sort of like a brilo pad, plastic type. Next time I take it out, I'll be coating it with oil so that the dust and allergens cling on to it better.
g-man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-02, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Acura Legend GS

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Roger
do u nodice any restriction of air flow with the new filter ??

1995 Legend GS (sherwood Green)
My ride
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/608014
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-02, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

With the washable kind, not really. With the pleated kind, yes.
g-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-03, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Honda 4 L*fe

Car 1: 94 Coupe L -- Sold 8/04

great thread!!! I will be doing this one on the weekend. Glad I don't have to pay the dealer price for a filter. thanks for the help and good explaination.

BTW, is it important to clean out the debris before putting the new filter in? haha
CBRKid20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Heya everyone

sorry I havn't responded to your questions in so long, life has been rather crazy for too long now.

Do I notice any kind of airflow restriction? None at all, in fact, with the 3M Red I used I have quite a bit better airflow for my AC system and it smells SOOOOO nice and clean About the only other way to get a better smell is to be out driving after the rain has been pouring down for more than half an hour or otherwise just after a rainfall I love that smell.

If you think about it, there is so much surface area to the OEM filter it's amazing that air gets through it at all!

The airflow is far superior to anything else I've encountered. The next filter I'm going to try is going to be a rather custom job. I'm going to get the very best 3M filter & get some thin 1/8"-ish wood or maybe thing Balsa wood and create an exact replica of the external dimentions of the OEM filter. I'm going to cut out the proper section of the filter needed, glue it in nice and tight on the inside so no air gets by the filter then reinforce it with thin strips of wood to brace it and keep it from getting deformed in any way. Then I'll glue a thin thin thin layer of foam to the outside of the housing so it makes a super tight seal all around the filter & no air can get by it

Anyhow, that's going to have to wait until my legs heal up so I can do this easier.

Anyhow, Best of luck everyone on this I dont have pictures for it but there should be some on my hard drive & I'll try to find em for ya and post it, email me if you want them & if they for some reason dont show up.

~Duane

[email protected]
Old 07-10-03, 08:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Took everything off, but not too sure which white box to open. There are two white boxes, the left side and right. The right one is the one that there is a small opening that opens and closes when you push the fresh air or recirculate button. Can someone please tell me where the filter exactly is. Thanks
ChippsAChoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-03, 06:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lov*n' My Legend

Car 1: 1993 LS Sedan, Cashmere Silver

Send a message via AIM to Phireant
Sorry for bringing back from the dead, but I thought this could help.

Here is a Word Doc. that has a whole DIY on how to get to the air filter and whatnot. It has a lot of pictures with it to aid in the process. Here it is

http://phireant.ohflip.com/acura/cab...air_filter.doc

Also all of this file is 5.51 megs and is being hosted off of my computer,(cable modem) and if anyone else wants to host the file that would be much appreciated.
Old 12-12-03, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Car 1: 2016 Audi Q3 Prestige 6A
Car 2: 2003 MR2 Spyder 6SMT

Quote:
Originally posted by Phireant
http://phireant.ohflip.com/acura/cab...air_filter.doc

Also all of this file is 5.51 megs and is being hosted off of my computer,(cable modem) and if anyone else wants to host the file that would be much appreciated.
Wow, 5.51mb. You would probably have saved at least 80% more space, if you converted that to HTML and saved the images as JPG at 75dpi, since monitors only can display 75dpi, anymore is only necessary for printing.

-- Ex-Legend owner by force --
My Clear By Day, Legal By Night was lost on March 14, 2003.
asianlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-03, 12:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

No worries on "bringing it back from the dead" and all that, so no worries

I'll take that file you made, change it around for space savings but keep it high-qual enough for printing out, then add in the details of making your own 3M Cabin Air Filter for true air cleaning & fresh, clean air. Then I'll host it for us on my low-use website so it'll handle the bandwidth no problem at all. I'll then post a 2nd version of it that's saved in grey-scale ~75dpi-ish for far easier downloading & usage. Good pictures, I think when people wanting to do this read my how-to part & then read your document with the pictures it'll make so much more sense, I'll try and find the pics/diagrams I used when I did mine & see what I can do. I can't really finish my how-to until we get a house & garage again, right now I'm just staying with family & all my stuff is in storage, kinda tough to finish projects this way. So we'll see how things go, we may be able to move into the house sometime in Jan-Feb, so we shall see what happens.

Thanks for the great documentation & pictures Phireant!!!

~Duane
Old 12-12-03, 02:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lov*n' My Legend

Car 1: 1993 LS Sedan, Cashmere Silver

Send a message via AIM to Phireant
Sorry about the size. I didn't have anytime to do anything with the pics. Crap i down sized them from 1600 x 1200 hahahaha but i had to work tonight.. and didn't have time.. Truly if i wanted to learn how to do it or wanted soem extra help I'll download a file that is 800 megs if that's what it takes.. so i didn't think 5 megs was all that bad.. but thanks for taking it and revising it.. just sorry about the size again, i just ran out of time.. thought i would just try to give more pics then there already was.. thanks again.
Old 12-13-03, 04:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

honestly to me on high-speed internet 5mb is nothing at all but there are those out there on dial-up so when I have more time I'll try & get it all fixed up & hosted for the world to see

busy & hecktic day,

~Duane
Old 12-24-03, 07:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 1994 Granada Black Acura Legend GS Sedan
Car 2: 2007 Subaru Forester

Send a message via MSN to shahavchik
Here is a pic of a HomeDepot style filter after 1 year of use. I couldn't believe how much dirt it caught

shahavchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-03, 08:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: KA7 Legend sedan, 5 speed manual

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Wow that looks disgusting. I can't even imagine BREATHING that stuff. I'm about to change my filter too ~ especially after all that California fire stuff.

-8000K HID low-beams/PIAA Spark 8000 high-beams/PIAA Plasma GT-X corners
-Type II brakes/some weight reduction/new tires every 4-6 months
-NA1 NSX wheels: Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/50V-16R in front, Kumho Ecsta ASX 205/60V-15R in rear
-Custom built six-puck kevlar clutch/Lightened (aluminum) pulleys
-[Mugen/Showa] suspension with remote-adjustable dampers
-C35A1/C32A1 hybrid swap; smog legal (by GreenLight Auto)
FF Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs