Engine rebuild is done, need advice - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications from intake to suspension to rotors to etc. :)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-02, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
B**k F***er

Car 1: 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS/TC
Car 2: 1995 Mazda Miata
Car 3: 2014 Kawasaki Versys

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to NickD Send a message via AIM to NickD Send a message via Yahoo to NickD Send a message via Skype™ to NickD
Engine rebuild is done, need advice

Well... I finished my 4 month long project to rebuild my engine. I got the copper headgaskets in there, a very aggressive porting and polishing job, type II cams/valves/springs in my Type I heads, and a Type II intake.

The engine looks beautiful, I will post pictures later. She also started right up on the first try.

However after some time I started to experience some serious problems. Heavy white smoke from the exhaust, difficulty starting, difficulty maintaining idle and overheating. All this accompanied by a terrible smell.

I was hoping the overheating was due to excessive air in the cooling system that was dry for 4 months and the erradic idle and difficulty starting was due to 4 month old gasoline in the tank. Unfortunantly I was wrong.

I pulled the sparkplugs out last night. Cylinders 1 and 5 are both flooded with anti-freeze. My anti-freeze has oil and fuel in it and there is some water in my oil as well.

The copper headgaskets were made perfectly. However I opted to reuse the stock gasket inserts from the stock gaskets. These little inserts fit into the headgasket to control the flow of oil to the heads. I believe these slips loose and are wedged between the gasket and block or the gasket and the head causing the leak I am seeing.

This leak is quite massive, as I took the radiator cap off with no pressure in the system and had my father crank it. Anti-freeze shot a good 5 feet into the air, hitting the hood and coving me and the engine in it. Luckily I had just topped it off so the anti-freeze that was in there was maybe only 100 degrees so I didn't get burned.

So this weekend I have to pull apart the whole engine again to determine and hopefully fix this problem.

Can anyone else offer any speculations to my problem(s)? The heads are good but I could guess a crack in the block. However the amount of pressure getting intot the cooling system was way more than a crack could allow.

Is it possible that the anti-freeze that seeped into the cylinders caused hydrolock at startup? I don't think this is the case as it never started right away when this happened and if hydrolock was going to happen I believe the starter motor would not have been able to crank the engine.

Cylinder #5 cotained about 1/4" of anyti freeze in it and cylinder #1 had only a little in it. Additionally all the other cylinders appeared to have quite a bit of carbon buildup on them, however it was hard to tell peering down that tiny spark plug hole.
NickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-02, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
i dont know were to start youve changed to type II peices instead of the whole thing. the problem can start from there. what do u think about the headgasket? is it identical to a stock
one?

its hard to tell, let us know what you find.

~Hybrid
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
*r**h *eller

Car 1: 07 TSX
Car 2: 08 Odyssey
Car 3: The roller skate

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dave C ver2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Dave C ver2.0
That sux Nick. Are the Type I and II valve spring heights the same? Do the rocker arms have the same P/N? Did you use new head bolts?

Since it ran OK to start I would thinkit wasn't an assembly error. Sounds more like a part compatability issue. The only way to know for sure is to take her apart again (very slowly and carefully, looking at every single piece as it comes off).

Good luck.

Old 12-16-02, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
E K
Junior Mint

Car 1: 91 Legend, 03 G35

That totally sux. We know that you've put so much work in. Is it possible the head gaskets aren't sealing as well as they should?

91 Acura Legend Sedan LS 173 HP/180 torque sold
03.5 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT sold
06 Infiniti Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
07 Honda Civic GX
E K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
B**k F***er

Send a message via ICQ to NickD Send a message via AIM to NickD Send a message via Yahoo to NickD Send a message via Skype™ to NickD
Before putting the copper headgaskets on I matched them up to the stock gaskets and they were identicle.

DaveC: The spring heights I believe are the same but the rates are different on the intake springs only. I replaced those with Type II springs. Additionally I took an entire Type II rocker arm assembly and bolted it up.

E.K.: Unless my block is badly warped, which I checked with a straight edge and it seemed ok, they should be sealing good. When I installed them I used this FelPro gasket sealer. It's pretty much like contact cement in a can designed for high temperatures and liquids. That should have helped seal everything into place. It was quite strong. I used that stuff to hold this little gaskets in place.

Another indication that it may have been those smaller gasket inserts is for the first 5 minutes the cams and rockers were ticking so loud you couldn't hold a conversation. Now I had prelubed everything so I didn't do any damage but it took a good 5 minutes to get them to quite down, as if the oil may have been blocked by those gaskets and then they were shoved otu of the way. I turned the engine off shortly after that which would have prevented me from finding my anti-freeze problem.

The car is at my parents place right now, I can't work on it till the weekend. I am dying to find out what happened...
Old 12-16-02, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs down Headgaskets dudes!!!!!

It sounds alot like a head gasket to me guys. If you didn't have the block or heads shaved some to flatten them first, copper will not give enough to seal even a slight warp. Not even dead soft copper. It seals better for cast iron blocks really. Why was it that you went with the copper again instead of factory?
2Badd4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Exclamation bad engines to rebuild???

I have been told on numerous occasions that these engines can not be rebuilt! Can you only do it yourself or are their shops out there that can do it? I wonder what it would cost since my 92 is VERY close to 180K, I just LOVE my car and dont even want to trade it for another legend. I would rather pay a car payment on an engine rebuild, than on another car. Good LUCK!
Nate R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thought of somthing else!

I'm not sure but you said you used the type II intake with the type I heads maybe you got another gasket mismatch there. Anywhere water passes through the block by a gasket is a potential leak. Honda uses very well engineered gaskets. You should never have problems with leaks other then warps, cracks or over torques. By the way a block crack wouldn't yeild water in the cylinder only in the oil, sleaves rarely crack and seep. unless way over bored.
2Badd4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 10:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Don't be alarmed by the loud cams and valves. Mine sounded exacly like that following my rebuild. They are self adjusting and that process is what you hear as they quiet down. Should not take more than a couple days of driving for any sounds to die down.
LegendC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-02, 10:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cap

NickD,

I feel for you bud.

It sounds to me like you are getting combustion gas into the cooling system. This might not be a head gasket. It might be a pin-hole leak from the exhaust port to a water jacket. One of the guys on the 3Geez forum talks about hitting water several times while learning to port and polish Honda heads.

I'd recommend draining the coolant, and then use an air compressor to pressurize the cooling system with air. Take the exhaust headers off, and listen at the exhaust ports for air hissing out. Spray soapy water to see if you get bubbles.

Then, you can remove the spark plugs, and listen at the spark plug holes. That will tell you if you have a leaky head gasket.

Be careful when you use air pressure to check for leaks... If you pressurize the cylinders, then the crank will turn. If you happen to have your fingers near a fan belt, you might lose them.

Cap

Last edited by Cap; 12-17-02 at 01:22 AM.
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-02, 02:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
B**k F***er

Hey guys, thanks for your input.

2Badd4u: I had the heads at a machine shop to be milled, pressure tested and magnufluxed and they were fine. I left the block in the engine bay so I had to check for warpage myself on that. I used a straight edge and a flashlight to determine if there was any warpage and it all looked good.

I went to copper because this is the third set of headgaskets going on the car. They keep blowing and in the same spot.

Nate R.: The Legend engine can defiently be rebuilt. I am not the first to do it. In fact, 2Badd4u's friend completely rebuilt his, I didn't touch my block. I had success with my first rebuild but my headgasket blew prematurely at 60,000 miles. I believe this is due to the fact that I re-used the old headbolts, a mistake on my part.

Anyway, this Sat/Sun I will start pulling her back apart again. I'll post my results here.
Old 12-19-02, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Good luck and all our hearts are with you and if you have any question whike working on it, call me at my cell. We'll try to help any kind of way we can
banel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-02, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Nick, hats off to you bro. What you did took a lot of patience.
g-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-02, 09:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
B+O
I'van der Rohe
Towers of Hanoi Champion

Car 1: why?

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to B+O
thats tight..uh that over port theory seems like it might hold a bit of water sorry. but you should check the port job.
B+O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-02, 12:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

I went ahead and asked my instructor about the problem and what he told me was that copper headgaskets are NOT suitable with our engines since we have a cast iron block and aluminum heads (correct me if i'm wrong). Two different metals with different heating properties
Reno5658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications