Lowering my car - questions and answers inside - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications from intake to suspension to rotors to etc. :)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-21-02, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wha*ever ** *akes

Car 1: 2006 Nissan Titan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 95legend
lowering my car

i plan on lowering my car soon as soon as i get enough money for rims. i have talked to several of my friends about what to get and not get and whats good and not good. i asked them if i should get new shocks, or would i be safe with just springs for now. they all gave me mixed responses. some said definitely get shocks along with springs, while others said id be fine. i wanna know what you guys have to say since none of my friends have legends
95legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-02, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

if you have the money get shocks and springs. if not, springs will still make a great difference.
smoovie--smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-02, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Will eiback springs be ok with oem shocks?
GWLAW99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-02, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

eibach springs will be ok with OEM shocks...

Eibach springs will be ok with OEM shocks... but I suggest getting Koni struts to go with it ($130 bucks a piece). You will save some time on the labor too.

I have a 94 legend GS. Just recently insalled 18x7.5 Katana Spazio+Eibach Springs+Koni Struts. Gained the much needed handling I was looking for.
mkovalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-03, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Question struts

my 93 l sedan need rear struts but i want to lower the car after i put 18's on what should i do first i dont want to do things twice
MERCCLK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-03, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
Re: struts

Quote:
Originally posted by MERCCLK6
my 93 l sedan need rear struts but i want to lower the car after i put 18's on what should i do first i dont want to do things twice

depends on what you want...

do you want flexibility, or are you happy with one setup?

JIC Magic Coilovers are one option - about 1200.00 - 1500.00
these are a true coilover system, not sleeved springs....multi -adjustable for a wide variety of comfort/performance levels and height.

if not those, then a must have with any of the following are KONI SHOCKS...do it right the first time. If you can get them on a special, they would be about 110.00-115.00 each. Otherwise, they run about 134.00 each.

TIRE RACK has them for 126.00 each

you can go with non adjustable springs....most Legend favorites are German engineered H & R, or Eibach. Depending on how low you want to go will determine your spring choice. Both offer excellent improvement, while one offers more agressive lowering.

H & R

EIBACH [eye-bock]

Another adjustable setup is the Ground Control coilover....which offer a range of 0-3" from stock. These work in conjunction with your factory struts or the KONI struts.

Last, but not least, whenever you lower your vehicle more than 1.5", you maay experience negative camber, which is the effect of the wheels pointing the tops of the tires inward - // \\

to combat this, you should get a camber kit - preferred ones are the Ingalls Camber Kit....please note some modification may be required as on some applications the upper a-arm may rub the inner wheel well on more agressive offset wheels.

I hope this helps
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-03, 07:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
ALSO REMEMBER....you will have to pay labor to do the same job twice...so do it right the first time...lowering the car with springs only puts more stres on the 7-12 year old struts...normal life is about 100k miles or 10 years....so they are near their end if not dead....so skimping can invoke a catastrophic accident if something blows out on the road....so as Fut always says...pay once and don't cry later.....err, or something like that

edit....
I added this thread to the 2nd gen FAQ

Last edited by 502 MotorSports; 01-20-03 at 03:16 PM.
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-03, 10:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
K L E A N M O D

Car 1: 1995 KA8 *R.I.P*
Car 2: 1997 S14 *SOLD*
Car 3: 2004 GTO

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
For the newbs

Someone sticky this please....
Thai.95LCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 04:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
:)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
I would get the shocks, I had the GC/koni setup and that was sick. This uses the eibach springs on a coilover pearch, I now have the JIC setup and that is the ****, worth the money.
pjslegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-03, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Old S*hool Member

Car 1: Previous: 1991 Pewter Grey Metallic L Sedan. Current: 1994 Blk/Blk LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Octane
Quote:
Originally posted by Leon Millette
....so as Fut always says...pay once and don't cry later.....err, or something like that
I think his expression is "Buy the best and cry once". Good advice if you ask me....

BTW the other option is to get Konis and stick with the stock springs - I think this is the setup that Chris K says has the best (most comfortable) ride, although I believe there is some debate as to whether or not our stock springs start to sag over time - if they have started to sag then I would definately replace them with new springs at the same time as the shocks to save on labour.

Regards,
Dave
Old 01-28-03, 11:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 91 sedan(sold,) 93 Soarer

Send a message via AIM to drinkdontdrive
Hey,

Speaking from experience - if u go with Koni's and 18's with a 45mm offset - do not stick with the stock springs - rubbing is a biiiatch

Jonny
drinkdontdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 03:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

I recently purchased H&R Springs and Koni struts. Installing both together is definitely the way to go. I'm still running my stock rims and tires and the difference is still significant. I'm now looking to go with taller rims and lower profile tires which should do even more for the handling of a truly awesome automobile.
kogata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-03, 04:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

go with 19"

The 18" Katana Spazio Rims on Yokohama Parada Spec II with Z rated tires alone didn't make any difference in handling for me. Mostly because the tires are thin to avoid rubbing (215/35/18ZR). (The stock 16" with a bigger tire comes close to the
size of my new rims and tires so it makes sense.)

I replaced the suspension with Koni Struts and Eibach Springs and the handling became superb. The steering wheel is stiffer and I feel more in control.

I would recommend finding a 19" Rims with the proper offset so it doesn't rub (a bit pricy now: $350/rim). I think you need something like a 50+ offset, but don't count on what I think.
Old 01-30-03, 01:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Blk LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Hey mkovalan I have the same wheels but 225/40/18 Katana Spazio's on Nitto 555's I haven't lowered my car yet my wife scrapes the front bottom bumper to much as it is. Have you gotten a chance to put a picture of your car in the gallary yet I would like to see how your car looks lowered with those wheels.
Old 01-30-03, 02:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by RenoG
Have you gotten a chance to put a picture of your car in the gallary yet I would like to see how your car looks lowered with those wheels.
Yes, I will put the pictures out as soon as I get my car detailed. It looks good, I must say. But frankly, I wish I had 19" rims for an aggresive look.

Scraping you say? Well, you have to worry about speed bumps too upon lowering! Those things are nasty! If I go on them at normal speed, the jerk causes the under carriage to hit it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications