|| CAI (Cold Air Intake) How To || - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-02, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
Post || CAI (Cold Air Intake) How To ||

What you need for this:
1 - Weapon R Intake
2 - 3" diameter 90 Degree Adjustable Piping
6 - Clamps
1 - Filter
1 - Screwdriver (Philips and Flat)
1 - Section of gutter guard (mesh)

Preparation:
* Remove right front wheel, and use philips screwdriver to remove the wheel well liner

* Your resonator box assembly is made of essentially three parts. These are intertwined, but fairly easy to take apart. There are three screws on the bottom of the resonator assy...one facing you, one in the front of the assy (you will put your hand thru the foglight hole for it) and one near the top (put your hand thru the foglight hole and reach up.)

*Give a few tugs and it should all come out (provided you have removed the crap from the top side where the normal intake ends.)

*Use compressed air to rid of all that crap that comes out, and clean it up real well.

*Now comes the fun part...
assuming that your intake is conncected to the throttle body, we will go from there...

*Connect one end of the 90 degree pipes to the intake and position it so that it will clear the hole. Clamp it to the intake slightly, to make room for adjustments.

*Securely clamp the filter with 2 clamps to the other 90 degree pipe and feed it up thru the bottom of the same hole.

***Now, these are gender sensitive, so secure them together, then clamp them together with 2 more clamps.***

*Now you can position the intake where it will give the filter a parallel stance to the ground, and tighten them up.

*****PLEASE MAKE SURE TO DOUBLE-CHECK ALL CONNECTIONS, and make sure that before installing taht all interior surfaces of the pipes are free of debris, moisture, etc.!!******

Replace the wheel well liner (take the time to ensure this is clean too.

*Pull ECU fuse for about 30 seconds.

*Using your foglight hole cover as a template, cut out a section of gutter guard, slightly bigger, to replace it with.

Reinstall wheel, and enjoy.

Please note, you may not hear it like you do if its in the engine bay as a ram, but you DO feel the difference!

It should look like this when you are done (old pic w/ Type I and no TCS)

*****Special note for those of you that want to be on the safe side in case of rain, install the AEM Bypass Valve ($56.82 @ NOPI).****

Yes, I know it is cheaper at some online catalogs, but, rain was coming, and I did not feel like waiting 3-5 days for delivery.
You will need the one for the Prelude - 3".

Instead of clamping the two 90 degree bends together, you will attach the valve in between the two. You will need the following to make this work....

1 - Patience
1 - WD 40
1 - about 30 minutes

* Lube the outer portion of the 90 degree bends with WD 40.
* Attach one end of the valve to the pipe. This may be difficult, so you will need to apply some force...but be gentle...and do not allow it to pass by the lip on the rubber. Secure it with supplied clamp, and repeat on other side. This one should be fairly easier...MAKE SURE TO SECURE IT, but do not overtighten. I also suggest to get something to hold this secure (i.e mounting brackets).
Here is a picture of mine with the bypass valve on my Type II w/TCS. Please note that the same intake ws used for the motor w/ TCS and w/o TCS. I guess the TCS intake is slightly shorter, but IT WILL work if you have the non TCS intake.

Close Up of AEM Bypass and other stuff

Last edited by 502 MotorSports; 03-04-02 at 08:47 AM.
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-02, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

What are some of the cheaper places that sell the AEM Bypass valves. I haven't been able to find any yet? I am gonna re-order my intake tomorrow when Nick gets back since they lost my order (he's sick today). I'll go get one of these too if the price is right.... definitely a good thing for me since I live in Seattle .
Old 03-05-02, 02:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
~
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-02, 02:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner

~
Old 03-05-02, 02:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner

the smoother the plain the better the airflow, that setup you have is adequate but there's beter you just need to look harder
Old 03-05-02, 05:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
that's funny, I was thinking of going and getting some madrel bent pipe made so it would be one piece between the ram and the extension. This is just fo those starting off. Still, I can feel a difference. Reason I made this is because I see TOO many folks with dryer hose and other ghetto styles on there cars...this way you won't be embarassed to show your motor, and not just sucking in crap
Old 03-05-02, 06:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
*r**h *eller

Car 1: 07 TSX
Car 2: 08 Odyssey
Car 3: The roller skate

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dave C ver2.0 Send a message via Yahoo to Dave C ver2.0
Thumbs up

Stickied!

You may want to submit this for the G2 FAQ section.
Old 03-05-02, 06:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Thanks Dave...Good idea
Old 03-05-02, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
LEGEND

Car 1: 1997 Eclipse GST Spyder

Thanks leon! i was just about to ask for this, hehe, and as i was reading i was thinking, 'maybe this should be a sticky' and bam i scrolled down and it was, lol, thanks Dave C.
Moloukhya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-02, 01:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

you mentioned weapon R intake, does it have to be a weapon R? can't I use any other intakes?
OhMyGodItsDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-02, 07:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Quote:
Originally posted by OhMyGodItsDanny
you mentioned weapon R intake, does it have to be a weapon R? can't I use any other intakes?

sorry, I am sure you can use another intake, but if it is too long, you would just need to make slight modifications to make it work.

For the most part, I am sure you would be fine
Old 03-08-02, 01:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

I just got my Weapon R Intake in the mail a few days ago and am kinda confused... The pipe has three things coming off of it, where do I connect them to?

Could someone take closeups? Thanks! Also how did you guys mount your weapon R's.
Old 03-08-02, 02:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Milano Red LS coupe 6spd

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Hey Leon, I don't think this will work with 94-95 sedan, since we don't have that fog light hole on either side of the lower grille
Old 03-08-02, 06:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteLegend
Hey Leon, I don't think this will work with 94-95 sedan, since we don't have that fog light hole on either side of the lower grille
True, you do not have to remove what is not there, however,it will work, just not have as direct an air flow as this setup does (sort of a CAI RAM on a Trans- Am). My set up is more of a functional air scoop on the hood of a car. In your engine bay, it is only getting the ambient *hot* air. Down there, its only getting fresh, cool air. Maybe not as direct, but better than in the engine compartment.

Speeddemon, I can help you if you want. Email me and I will give you my number...I can walk you thru it
Old 03-09-02, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

that's tight Leon!
I may just need to do that...
Platinum Legend 92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs