JDM engine-tranny swap - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications

Engine & Performance Modifications Discuss Engine and performance modifications from intake to suspension to rotors to etc. :)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-03, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 92 LS Sedan (SOLD)
Car 2: 91 240sx 5spd Hatch
Car 3: 99 VR4

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
JDM engine-tranny swap

What is required to do the swap? is it direct bolt in? Also what is the advantage of the JDM engine/tranny over USDM? (I have a 92 LS sedan type I, with 180k mi if this makes any difference) Should I go for this or just do a type II swap?
joeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-03, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Up in the top right of the screen is the search Function (use it), there are countless threads about engine swaps.
Dethred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-03, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
Welcome aboard. If you do use the search you will find MANY articles/threads regarding this subject. I personally did the type ii swap and it made a world of difference. THe JDM motor is less hp than the Type II, so that is where my money's at.

Check these threads for more
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ht=engine+swap

502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-03, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

jdm !

Ahhh the JDM type 2 might have less hp than the USDM type 2 but if you go with the JDM type 1 engine than you get 15 extra hp and the same amount or more torque than a USDM type 1 i beleive so seeing that the legend engine's lack torque then my choice would be a JDM type 1 but then again i dont think i would ever get a JDM engine cause you never really know how many miles and ect. are on the JDM engine or tranny so unless you have a GOOD hook up its kinda hard to tel for sure !
Rmuzik411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-03, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

What if you put type II heads on a JDM?
Old 03-31-03, 12:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

The heads are what make the power difference, in theory you'd have a type 2 motor if you have the type 2 heads. There may be some minor differences but not enough to notice.
Old 03-31-03, 01:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

dethred is right the major differences in the type I vs. type II engines are in the top end of the engine the bottom end is the same for the type I and type II engines and the other differences are the vaccume connections but that requires minor work ... at one point i debated on doing the type II head swap on my type I but i decided not to because i dont want to loose torque and i feel that i dont really need high end power just more low end and with the type II swap i wouldent get that i would loose it ...... thats why i think it would be a good idea to just get a jdm type I engine but again just my opinion !
Rmuzik411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-03, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, I would find some Type 2 heads/manifold. Do that and get the right ecu with a Bayou chip and you have made up for the 3 ft/lb of torque with almost ten more. If you have the dough, go with a Type 2 head/manifold set up and work with that.
Old 03-31-03, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
Trust me, 4lbs/tq is not that bad. Do a search....you may feel a difference from the Type I of course, but the Type II is no joke. Besides, that is a lot more work to do...and if you are not mechanically inclined, it is going to cost you...I know alot of folks on here seem to not have that kind of disposable income to do that kind of thing. No insult intended, just want you to weigh your options
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-03, 08:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

When I drove a type 2 I was amazed at what a measley 30hp can do with no torque gain.
Old 03-31-03, 11:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

I thought there were other differences w/ type I & II. Didn't somebody say one has 2 water pump outlets along with other minor changes?
Old 04-01-03, 12:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

this should be helpful.

http://www.2slik4u.com/type2swap.htm
Old 04-01-03, 02:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wha*ever ** *akes

Car 1: 2006 Nissan Titan

Send a message via AIM to 95legend
the torque mainly comes from the block, am i correct on that? if so, why would the engine lose any torque? but if i am incorrect, you wont notice the 3-5ft/lb torque loss. if i wanted to make my legend faster instead of a show car, id definitely do this instead of getting a whole new type II engine.
95legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-03, 11:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 95legend
the torque mainly comes from the block, am i correct on that? if so, why would the engine lose any torque? but if i am incorrect, you wont notice the 3-5ft/lb torque loss. if i wanted to make my legend faster instead of a show car, id definitely do this instead of getting a whole new type II engine.
Dethred, thanks for the link!! Good info there.

95Legend,
I believe the torque /hp trade-off is directly related to the OVERHEAD cam profile (valve timing, duration, and overlap.) The onlyother factor might be the actual SIZE of the valves (but it seems they might be the same as type 1's) Anyway it is all in the heads and strictly has to do with how long and when the valves open and closed. The flow of the intake port also plays a factor in this. Another way to trade HP for torque is to change the amount of backpresseure/ scavenging (size) of your exhaust

Most things you would do to the BOTTOM end of your engine will affect torque/ horsepower together, not oppositely. i.e bigger pistons, higher compression etc...

Here is a good link to learn more:Horsepower vs. Torque

Did you know that in EVERY engine HP = Torque @ 5250 RPM?
Old 04-17-03, 09:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

how come on Acura 3.2 TLs 1996-1998 they left type 1 engine and didnt go with the type 2?
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995) > Engine & Performance Modifications