Brake Pad Replacement by Shadow - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-02, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 95 GS

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to infinite
Brake Pad Replacement by Shadow

Thanks Shadow.

Replacing the brake pads is quite a simple task.

After jacking the vehicle up, remove the wheel

There are two bolts holding the caliper to the wheel arm thingy.

once these are off the caliper should move freely away from the rotor.

The pads slide in and out quite easily.

Remove old pads and check for uneven wear, and any scraping on the rotor
If the rotor is damaged get skimmed or replace!

Make sure you keep the metal backing plates for the pads! and remember which side they go on.

The caliper piston on the front can be pushed back in with a simple caliper depressor, but the rear ones require to be turned as they go in. you can borrow/hire the tools from most mechanics, or some auto shops.(before you depress the piston remove the cap from the brake fluid reservoir as you will get back- flow)

When puting in the new pads, you should feel a light click as it falls into place

Whilst you have the calipers off you might want to give the sliding rods a quick bit of grease - the rods that the calipers 'float' along
If one of these has been sticking it can be the cause of uneven wear.

Replace the calipers in reverse of the way we took them off and your new pads are a go-go.

Replace the reservoir cap and top up if neccessary.

Just too wear them in, I like to gently pump the brake a few times while keeping one foot gently on the accelerator.
Then get up to speed ~60mph then jump on the anchors for a moment - this also helps to remove any lips on the edge of the rotor!

Hope this helps y'all!!!
)
Advertisement

Old 06-06-04, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
RAP

Car 1: '95 Legend 3 ea. 240SX

My car is the '95 L.

I have just replaced my rear brake pads and I must say that it's pretty much
a snap. My car is clean, no rust.

Reading the DIY I note that for the rear pads the poster states that the caliper piston must be turned to retract it. This is not what I have to do on
my car. In fact, an ordinary C clamp is good for pushing the piston back
in. Do this slowly and if your brake fluid reservoir is not over filled, the returning
fluid should not run over. If there is any doubt, just remove some fluid or better yet, open the bleeder on the caliper, which is what I normally do.

If the DIY'er has access to air tools the job can be done in 30 min. max, per wheel with ample time for several beers.

Of course beer and brakes don't match up too well, so...

RAP
Old 08-23-04, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
A work in progress...

Car 1: 1992 Legend Ls Coupe
Car 2: Left Foot
Car 3: Right Foot

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crikfromcincy
abs light stuck on!

Ok, so I replaced my rear pads and rotors... it was about that time, they weren't shot, but well on their way. The new pads I got wouldn't take the metal backing plates, so I pitched them (DOH!)... now my abs light comes on after I drive about 10 feet or so.... Is this because of that backing plate, or is something else wrong? I checked fronts, and they're fine... PLEASE HELP! By the way, I love this site/forum, you guys have inspired me to do so much, and with so many people and so much information, I feel I can tackle these mods with full confidence.
crikfromcincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-04, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: .

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Here is how I do it
1) Jack car and remove wheels
2) Remove bottom (?) bolt on the caliper and swing the caliper up (I might have this backwards, it has been a while)
3) Remove old pads and save back plates
4) Remove brake fluid resivoir cap and push caliper pistion in with a big C clamp
5) Put pack plates on new pads and appliy brake-b-quiet solution of your choice
6) Slide pads in caliper and swing back onto disk
7) Replace bolt in caliper
Done!
I use the blue stuff at Advanc Auto to keep my brakes quiet and clean it all with brake cleaner often during install. I hope this helps.
Later!
Lee
sleeprlegendcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just bought some brembo cross drilled / slotted rotors for my acura legend 94. I'm going to get some pads but i'm unsure which brand to get. Well anyways if you guys could help me out on how to change everything all around it would be wonderful. Hopefully a nice walk through with pictures? I know that they are charging about $100 for labor. i'm not so sure i want to spend that. But i dunno . Please help me out. Thanks again!
phan_nam420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car 1: .

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan_nam420
I just bought some brembo cross drilled / slotted rotors for my acura legend 94. I'm going to get some pads but i'm unsure which brand to get. Well anyways if you guys could help me out on how to change everything all around it would be wonderful. Hopefully a nice walk through with pictures? I know that they are charging about $100 for labor. i'm not so sure i want to spend that. But i dunno . Please help me out. Thanks again!
Find a Chilton or preferable a Haynes manual. It will walk you through most basic work you will be doing. You can find them at most auto parts stores.
Later!
Lee
sleeprlegendcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 04:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cool

Anyone have a walk thru on how to paint your calipers for the FRONT and REAR?
phan_nam420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 06:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan_nam420
DIY Rotors and Brakes from me
Old 01-28-06, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikfromcincy
Ok, so I replaced my rear pads and rotors... it was about that time, they weren't shot, but well on their way. The new pads I got wouldn't take the metal backing plates, so I pitched them (DOH!)... now my abs light comes on after I drive about 10 feet or so.... Is this because of that backing plate, or is something else wrong? I checked fronts, and they're fine... PLEASE HELP! By the way, I love this site/forum, you guys have inspired me to do so much, and with so many people and so much information, I feel I can tackle these mods with full confidence.
Me also. I have the same problem. I recently bought my 1991 Acura Legend LS from my Step dad, and it had some issuses. I had to disable the alarm (thanks to this web site) and I still have to fix my abs problem. So if some one could tell me what is wrong or even just and EASY way to shut that ABS light off. That would be great...
Iceman6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
RAP

Car 1: '95 Legend 3 ea. 240SX

BRAKES and ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6669
Me also. I have the same problem. I recently bought my 1991 Acura Legend LS from my Step dad, and it had some issuses. I had to disable the alarm (thanks to this web site) and I still have to fix my abs problem. So if some one could tell me what is wrong or even just and EASY way to shut that ABS light off. That would be great...
There is lotsa talk here on the little understood ABS system on these cars. There is not an easy way to cancel the light on/in the cluster except disassemblying same and removing the bulb.

You could remove the rear seat back and unplug the electronic controller for the ABS and try that to see if anything else is affected.

You could beg, borrow, steal, purchase a Helms repair manual to study this car which would help you a great deal. The manual DOES NOT offer any help in cancelling the ABS lite however. In fact there is not much repair advice on tha ABS system except remove and replace, and, IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE. You could possibly find a replacement at a wrecking yard?

My ABS lite comes on after startup and I just ignore it. The brakes will continue to work fine.

Do a search.
Old 01-29-06, 12:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

thanks

Thanks for your help. I really dont want to tear the whole dash apart. I am also haveing a problem disableing the alarm. I thought i had it but then it started going off agian. I am going to try to tinker with it agian today. I just have some questions about it. Is it the little lever on the back side of the hood latch? There is a cable running to that and I was just woundering if that was it. Or better yet if someone has a pic of the cable i am going to disconnect that would be awsome.
Iceman6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-06, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
aclegend

Car 1: 2000 3.5 RL
Car 2: 95 Legend LS

man this was a big help, i did my first ever replacement in just 45 min...so easy

thnks
oMaiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 12:17 AM   #13 (permalink)
TEXAS PSYCO

Car 1: 1991 LS coupe VGM(sold)
Car 2: 1994 LS coupe DMM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stella
machined rotors and pads. I also bled the brakes a couple of times till the pedal was nice and frim under my foot as well as flushing my brake fluid. Easy as pie!!!
Here is my baby in the air. And yes the rotors are black because i wanted to paint the centers and outer cricumfrance of them. the overspray got on the rotors but came right off after a few hard brakes. I used hi-temp ceramic spraypaint for the rotors.
Thanks for a good DIY!

Rear

Front

Last edited by stella; 09-09-06 at 12:42 AM.
stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-06, 08:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

i think my rear caliper is scraping should i just replace the pad or the entire caliper and can i just replace one brake pad on the car? also the only specialty tool i need is a caliper depressor?
LegendFanInCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 06:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 2003 CL-S 6spd
Car 2: 95 LR Discovery 5spd
Car 3: 88 Legend RIP

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprlegendcp View Post
Here is how I do it
1) Jack car and remove wheels
2) Remove bottom (?) bolt on the caliper and swing the caliper up (I might have this backwards, it has been a while)
3) Remove old pads and save back plates
4) Remove brake fluid resivoir cap and push caliper pistion in with a big C clamp
5) Put pack plates on new pads and appliy brake-b-quiet solution of your choice
6) Slide pads in caliper and swing back onto disk
7) Replace bolt in caliper
Done!
I use the blue stuff at Advanc Auto to keep my brakes quiet and clean it all with brake cleaner often during install. I hope this helps.
Later!
Lee

Yeah that's easiest way. I do it like that now too. You have to remove the bottom bolt that the caliper slides on NOT the mounting bolt and just tilt it up. I used to remove both mounting bolts until I read the factory service manual. It says to just remove the bolt for the bottom floating pin and tilt up. If you remove the top one there's not enough flexible brake line to tilt the caliper down. Takes me 10 mins to change brake pads now.

88 coupe 5 spd gold/tan bone stock (RIP-rear ended)
mordor110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs