Transmission Sliding From Side To Side - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-02, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Sliding From Side To Side

If you have a manual transmission and are experiencing the feeling of the transmission sliding around.... in turns or with your input on the shifter.

First of all - unless both your mid mounts and rear trans mount are completely disintrigated your problem most likely is the rubber mount that houses the shift housing support rod.

You see, your shift lever connects to the transmission (basically) via two rods. One of the rods is controls input to the transmission for gear selection (directly from the shifter or shift lever) and the other rod (shift housing support rod) stabilizes the entire shift assembly. Basically the second rod houses the bowl that supports the shift lever.

WELL - the second rod travels through a rubber housing which supports the shifter, cushions your shift and reduces vibrations from the trans. Well, this rubber housing will most likely need replacing because the second rod is traveling side to side (freeplay).

Your fix will be (the rubber housing, of course) but will require you to drop the cat where it connects to the Y pipe (only) and removing the rubber grommets from the back of the cat - so that the cat drops down. You then must remove the heat shield on the belly of the vehicle and you will have instant access to the rubber housing I mention - also - you will have access to the rear trans mount.

FYI - you do not need to support the transmission (in any way shape or form) to remove the rear trans mount!

KNLNGUS

PS. You copy McKenzie?
KNLNGUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-02, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
good info, KNLGUS

I may need this in the near future
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-02, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 LS Coupe, 6 Speed

Thanx KNLNGUS..... you should move this over too the useful topics section as I may end up doing this sometime soon here.

Have you done your clutch yet?

Is that the only way that you can check the tranny mounts is by dropping the heat sheild and cat..???
Mckenzie93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-02, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

McKenzie, perhaps the forum guru(s) will be so kind.

I would recommend getting a used rubber housing.

Yes, clutch job is complete! I'm sure you will run across my other post which I briefly talk about it.

Yes, the only way to view / replace the rear trans mount is to drop (only) the front of cat from the y pipe and the belly heat shield.

KNLNGUS
Old 05-01-02, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 LS Coupe, 6 Speed

Good to hear!

It is nice out today so I think I am going to put some grease down inside my shifting shaft there..... I will need a hoist for the rubber mount. Thanx.
Mckenzie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-02, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks McKenzie.

Not a problem, yeah a hoist or jack stands (thats all I used for my clutch job - where I had to remove my rear mount and all linkage to the trans)

Be sure to use a lube with a high drop point (like 450 degrees or better) as things get hot under there!

KNLNGUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs