SOLVED: VSA, traction control and brake warning lights on - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)

First Generation RL (1996-2004)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-19, 02:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 2001 RL

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb SOLVED: VSA, traction control and brake warning lights on

Last week, the VSA, traction control and brake warning lights all came on in the dash. A quick search online showed that the brake light switch (next to the brake pedal, under the dash) could be the culprit. I checked the brake lights and they were working fine, so the switch was working. I suspected a sensor.

The light came on, again, a few days later. Still no problem driving the car, or braking, and the brake lights checked out when I got home.

THEN, over the weekend, I started the car, but couldn't get it out of park! I checked the brake lights and they were NOT working. I kept trying and trying and eventually, the switch started working again and I was able to drive home without being stranded!

I replaced the switch in about 10 minutes (it takes a 14mm wrench to loosen the locking nut).

I figured out that the lights were coming on when driving the car and likely coming to a stop, but the brake light wasn't working, so the computer is sensing the wheels have stopped, but the brakes aren't being applied, so that indicates a problem.

And, of course, the computer enforces safety by requiring you have your foot on the brake before shifting out of Park. If the brake switch isn't working, it can't tell that you have your foot on the brake.

If you replace the switch yourself, make note (take a picture!) of where the nut is on the shaft of the switch and that will help you get real close to the proper adjustment.
lunytnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-19, 01:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car 1: 2001 RL

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Not so fast...

Well, it happened again. Car will start, but can't get it out of park and the brake lights are not working.

So, either the new switch went bad (what are the odds?) or there's some other (obviously intermittent) problem (maybe wiring?) that keeping the signal from getting where it needs to go.

I wiggled the connector around as best I could (I couldn't take it apart without tools), but no change.

Boy do I wish I'd held on to the old part so that I could test with that! (normally, I do that kind of thing, but this time I didn't because I thought the old switch was bad).
lunytnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura RL > First Generation RL (1996-2004)