Occasional no start/stall - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)

First Generation Legend (1986-1990) Discuss the 1st Generation Honda/Acura Legend (US 8

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-19, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Occasional no start/stall

So I've recently picked up this 1988 Acura legend L coupe. It's a 5 speed with the 2.7l and 112k miles on it. Previous owner said it just sat for a while so they just wanted to get rid of it.

Ever since I've brought it home, it's been driving me crazy with the occasional no start. Every other time I try to start it, it will crank, but won't turn over. If that happens, I let it sit for 3-5 min and it starts just fine. If I crank it and it doesn't start, it smells like fuel, so I'm assuming I have fuel pressure. Even more rarely (happened 3 times so far), the car will stall on me. I was able to pop start it two out of the three times. The third time I just coasted to a stop while trying to pop start it. The rpm and speedo looked normal, but the engine wouldn't turn over even when I put it in gear and dropped the clutch (I was moving at 40 mph so I tried pop starting in 3rd, 2nd, and 1st as I slowed down)

So far I've replaced the fuel pump, ignition coil, ignition switch, plugs, fuel filter, and the main relay.

Any ideas what the issue might be?
Nokia_2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-19, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Update: when the no crank situation happens, if I put the gas pedal to the floor, then crank, it starts after ~4 sec. It runs like trash and spits out dark grey/blue smoke for about 3 seconds, then runs just fine.
Nokia_2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > First Generation Legend (1986-1990)