Custum Acura/Apline adapter - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-03, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 Legend LS sedan, 2002 3.2TL

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PerzianKabob
Custum Acura/Apline adapter Tutorial

Custom Alpine/Acura Adapter

Time: 30 minutes max

Tools: Soldering Iron, and some solder (optional)

Background information: Second generation legends come pre-wired for a trunk mounted CD-changer. Since Acura CD-changers are hard to find and very expensive, most people purchase the Alpine M-bus 6 series. I purchased an Alpine CHM-601 model off eBay for roughly $80, after shipping and noticed that when I plugged the CD-changer into my car, the signals were not being properly distributed to my speakers. The solution is to purchase an adapter that will correct this problem. Today, adapters run in the range of $20-$30, which may not be a lot to you, but I am extremely cheap. So let us begin.

Step 1: Remove the CD-changer from your trunk if already installed; if not then just get the CD-changer from wherever it is.

Step 2: You will be working with the connector from the CD-changer only; do not mess with the wire coming from the car. There will be one side of the black casing saying something like push. On the other side thereís a little slit in the casing. Pull that up, without breaking it and the casing should slide off very easily.

Step 3: Open up the connector, there should be some tape that you will need to remove.

Step 4: According to this diagram from www.integracaraudio.com, Pins #2 and #4 need to be switched. When you look at the connectorís face, you will notice numbers 1-8. Those numbers represent each pin. Pin 2 should be red, and pin 4 should be black.

Take your soldering iron and make sure it is very hot, and clean. Place the iron onto the wire of your choice (2 or 4), and pull. The wire should come off very easily. Wait a couple seconds for the wire to cool, and then repeat for the other pin.

Step 5: Solder the #2 pin to the #4 slot, and vice versa. Also, remember to be in a well ventilated area.

Step 6: Put the casing back together and plug your CD-changer back into the car wiring.

Enjoy!

Last edited by PerzianKabob; 03-16-03 at 02:50 AM.
PerzianKabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-03, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

If anyone has any suggestions on this tutorial...Iím open to some criticism, if constructive. :p

Also, if your CD-changer gets all ****ed up because of you trying to do this, do not come running to me for a replacement, because Iím too cheap to buy you one. So do this tutorial at your own risk please. If you feel like you canít perform this, please go out and buy a pre-made adapter.
Old 03-17-03, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car 1: 1991 Legend L Sedan Wrecked!
Car 2: 95 Legend "L" Sedan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Excellent work! Too bad I purchased the Hon/Acu adaptor when I got my CHMS-630 changer. Very simple for me (TV tech) to unsolder and cross the wires.. I thought about doing just what you described but was not sure of the pin #''s.

Old 03-19-03, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
0000$$$$0000####0000

Car 1: Acura

Quote:
Originally posted by 91boz
Excellent work! Too bad I purchased the Hon/Acu adaptor when I got my CHMS-630 changer. Very simple for me (TV tech) to unsolder and cross the wires.. I thought about doing just what you described but was not sure of the pin #''s.
Where are you a TV Tech at? I noticed you are in Hawaii. I've been at KITV as an MC TD for 8 years.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

good info. I have a a spare alping changer adapter in front on me know and it looks easy. I'll try it later.

Does this work on the 5 series

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 03-19-03 at 06:38 PM.
CakeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-03, 08:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

not exactly sure....don't know much about that series of changers. i assumed only the 6 series works with our head units.
Old 03-19-03, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by PerzianKabob
not exactly sure....don't know much about that series of changers. i assumed only the 6 series works with our head units.
I have an Alpine CHM5620, and it has the same adapter. Plugs right into the bose unit.

I opened the adapter and its the red and blk wire that needs to be swapped, correct. 2 and 4 are red and blk wires on the unit I have.

My guess is that you have tried this and succeded, correct? Did you notice a difference in the sound from the head unit. Were you experiencing no bass whn you balanced all the way to the left (driver side)?

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 03-20-03 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-19-03, 09:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

ohhhhh....okay sorry i was a little confused with your model. the tutorial i wrote will work for that model, because that model still needs the adapter to properly work with the headunit.

Yeah, i experienced the same problem with the left speaker prior to performing the alterations. now everything sounds just fine, and the way it's supposed to sound.
Old 03-20-03, 02:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
0000$$$$0000####0000

Quote:
Originally posted by PerzianKabob
ohhhhh....okay sorry i was a little confused with your model. the tutorial i wrote will work for that model, because that model still needs the adapter to properly work with the headunit.

Yeah, i experienced the same problem with the left speaker prior to performing the alterations. now everything sounds just fine, and the way it's supposed to sound.
It will work with any Alpine 8 Pin DIN M-Bus changer. The changer mentioned by CakeDaddy is NOT a 5 series changer. It is a CHM-S620, not 5. The OEM Legend changer were based on the old Alpine 5 series changers. Those changers had model numbers like 5952, 5952S, 5957, 5957S, 5959, 5959S and so forth. Anything with a CHM or CHA in the model number is the new Alpine changer chassis that is actually smaller than the OEM changers based on the older 59XX series. The CHM changers will work because the "M" stands for M-Bus. The CHA changers will not work because the "A" stands for Ai-Net. Ai-Net is the newer Alpine data protocal which does not with with Honda/Acura decks. There are a couple of CHA changers that are actually M-Bus/Ai-Net hybrid changers and those changers will work if you use an additional Ai-Net to M-Bus adaptor that is modified for Honda/Acura.

Last edited by ChrisK; 03-21-03 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-20-03, 10:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

PerzianKabob & ChrisK

Good info. I'll try this as soon as I get a soildering iron.
Old 03-22-03, 07:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 White Coupe

Cool

I Have just purchased my Legend .. I have noticed the cd changer is different to the standard one that comes with the car!
I have the Alpine CHM S620 unit installed and guess wot! Same problem with left channel .The question is what does the adapter look like? All i can see is the unit plugged into cars din socket. Wouldnt mind knowing abit more before i get my soldering iron out..

Thanks
stone_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-03, 09:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Old 03-22-03, 10:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
0000$$$$0000####0000

Yes, the adaptor looks like the picture above. For those who care. It is just an extention DIN camber with the #2 and #4 pin wires already interchanged for you. 5 minute and a soldering iron and you can do it yourself if you wanted. It saves yourself $20-$30 as well. It also saves you on two connection points that can go bad in the future (Highly unlikely though).
Old 03-23-03, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Car 1: 1993 White Coupe

Thanks for the picture ... I didnt find the adapter in the car.. So i got my soldering iron out and sorted the din plug and it works a treat.... Thanks alot for you help

Happy motoring
stone_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-03, 05:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
I'm gonna copy this thread into the DIY section, thanks for the info!

Mike
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs