I think I've decided what rims I want...but will they fit? - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-02, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I think I've decided what rims I want...but will they fit?

I'm pretty sure I want the wheels for the Type-S CL's and TL's. But I dunno if they will fit. Could someone help me out and let me know if they will fit on my 94 Coupe? Here are the specs:

Tire size: 215/50R17(Michelin)
Bolt pattern: 5x114.3mm(4x4.5")
Offset: 55mm

Thanks,
J520
jason520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-02, 04:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Five- O

Car 1: 88 L Coupe 5 Speed

I don't know for sure but I believe someone said that the center of rim as to be bored out a little to make it fit- I'm not sure of the exact size.

Just a little FYI- My father has a 01- CL-s and one of many complaints from the Cl-s guys is that they can't take their cars into any automatic car washs b/c the tire rails scratch the out portion of the rims. So if use those types of car washs then forget about it.

I hope this helps
Esti
Stromung exhuast Cat-Back
DEC Hi-Flow Cat
90 tail Lights
Cross drilled rotors
Eibach Springs/KYB Shocks
APC Sway Bar
Esti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Esti
I don't know for sure but I believe someone said that the center of rim as to be bored out a little to make it fit- I'm not sure of the exact size.

Just a little FYI- My father has a 01- CL-s and one of many complaints from the Cl-s guys is that they can't take their cars into any automatic car washs b/c the tire rails scratch the out portion of the rims. So if use those types of car washs then forget about it.

I hope this helps
Esti
Thanks for the advice. What does offset mean anyway? God I'm so ignorant when it comes to this stuff. BTW, I would never let someone clean my car.

Thanks again,
J520

Old 03-11-02, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 Blk LS Coupe

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Ditto Jason, ditto. Why would you.
Old 03-11-02, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 3.5L 1991 LS Coupe 5 Spd Blk/Blk
Car 2: 1999 Acura 3.5RL
Car 3: 2004 GMC Sierra Z71

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Mike Diaz
The CL/TL Type S wheels have a 64mm center bore and the Legend has a 70mm center bore. You'll have to take those wheels to a local machine shop and have them drilled out another 6mm for them to fit your Legend. Look up machine shops in your area.
Mike Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 05:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by luvmylegend
The CL/TL Type S wheels have a 64mm center bore and the Legend has a 70mm center bore. You'll have to take those wheels to a local machine shop and have them drilled out another 6mm for them to fit your Legend. Look up machine shops in your area.
Any idea of how much that would cost?
Old 03-11-02, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car 1: '95 Coupe
Car 2: '94 Sedan GS
Car 3: '90 Coupe

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to FutureX 2001 Send a message via AIM to FutureX 2001 Send a message via MSN to FutureX 2001
I have a picture of one that was handed me by another forum member. Don't know if you've seen it. I would need your email to send it to you.
FutureX 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Milano Red LS coupe 6spd

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by jason520

Any idea of how much that would cost?
I just had a set of rims custom bored at a local machine shop, it cost me $120 for 2 hrs of labor.

Also, if you do change rims, get the TLS rims instead. I think it looks better than CLS rims. Also you don't want to worry about getting your rims all scratched up.
Old 03-11-02, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
502MotorSports.com

Car 1: e39 540i | e28 533i [Euro]
Car 2: e60 530i | e46 330i
Car 3: S430

Send a message via AIM to 502 MotorSports Send a message via Yahoo to 502 MotorSports
Quote:

Thanks for the advice. What does offset mean anyway?
OFFSET DEFINED

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types.

Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.

Positive
The hub mounting surface is toward the front or wheel side of the wheel. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front wheel drive cars and newer rear drive cars.

Negative
The hub mounting surface is toward the back or brake side of the wheels centerline. "Deep dish" wheels are typically a negative offset.

If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. When the width of the wheel changes, the offset also changes numerically. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside.
502 MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-02, 09:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteLegend

I just had a set of rims custom bored at a local machine shop, it cost me $120 for 2 hrs of labor.

Also, if you do change rims, get the TLS rims instead. I think it looks better than CLS rims. Also you don't want to worry about getting your rims all scratched up.
Wow and all this time I thought they were the same... Looking at them both I think I like the CL rims better, believe it or not. Maybe it's because I photoshoped 'em on my car, LOL.

Check it out:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/legend...mmedlegend.jpg

Later,
J520
Old 03-11-02, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

Wow and all this time I thought they were the same... Looking at them both I think I like the CL rims better, believe it or not. Maybe it's because I photoshoped 'em on my car, LOL.

Check it out:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/legend...mmedlegend.jpg

Later,
J520
That pic looks nice, I think CLS rims look good on the coupe. But I don't think they're that big, looks like 18s or 19s on your car.
Again it's not the looks everyone is trying to tell you about, it's the fact that spokes on the CLS rims flare out a lot, therefore easy scuffed or scratched.
Old 03-11-02, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteLegend

That pic looks nice, I think CLS rims look good on the coupe. But I don't think they're that big, looks like 18s or 19s on your car.
Again it's not the looks everyone is trying to tell you about, it's the fact that spokes on the CLS rims flare out a lot, therefore easy scuffed or scratched.

Ummm... okay so I embillished a bit.
Old 03-12-02, 12:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Car 1: L Coupe and GS Sedan

Why guess what they would look like when you can see the real thing?? On the old forum "quack" was selling his old stock rims and if you go through his photo album you can see that he replaced them with TL-S 17" rims. Picture #5 shows them best. I wrote to him about them and you have to bore them out to 70.9mm from the 64mm. You can get these brand new for $200 each at one of the online Acura parts places.

Check it out:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dngo75/vw....jpg%26.src=ph
sfearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-02, 08:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by sfearing
Why guess what they would look like when you can see the real thing?? On the old forum "quack" was selling his old stock rims and if you go through his photo album you can see that he replaced them with TL-S 17" rims. Picture #5 shows them best. I wrote to him about them and you have to bore them out to 70.9mm from the 64mm. You can get these brand new for $200 each at one of the online Acura parts places.

Check it out:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dngo75/vw....jpg%26.src=ph
70.9 mm is way too big. The legend bore is 70mm, and all you need is 0.1mm clearance. So all you need to do is bore them to 70.1mm. If you bore them to 70.9mm you it might be too loose on the hub and you might experience shaking at high speeds. I just had my rims done a few month ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)