Bumper Repair - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs

DIYs These threads contain answers to common topics. "Do it yourself" modifications are also archived here.

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-03, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T WE
Car 2: 2002 Honda S2000

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Bumper Repair

I recently tore off my front bumper when backing out of my driveway by accident. Four of the mounting tabs that hold the bumper securely were ripped off.

So instead of spending $$$ on getting it fixed by a body shop I found a product that worked excellent in repairing my bumper. Its called SEM Problem Plastic Repair and it fixes bumper damage (duH) whats unique about this product is that its a specially designed epoxy glue that adheres to PPO plastic (the plastic our bumpers are made of) other all purpose epoxies are not the best solution for repair as they cannot mold w/the chemical properties of the bumper and thus eventually fall off.

This kit was about $15 or so shipped from Vinyl Pro
http://www.nb.net/~vinylpro/products.htm

You can also get it elsewhere but this place was the closest to me and offered great service.

Overall, this product is easy to use, you just have to use the glue and mix it into the damged parts of the bumper and then let it dry . The most important thing to do is PREP WORK. As anyone knows, good prep work ensures good results. I had to sand down the sides of the damaged holes and clean it with the cleaner shown in the picture. This ensure that glue will properly bond to the plastic.

Once you have it all prepped you are ready to start putting the glue on. What I did was spread over the entire hole and use reinforcing tape (shown in picture) to keep the glue from dripping. You let it sit for about 1-2 hours

I did this for all the damaged tabs

Then I sadned it down and put it right back!

Contact me if you need the following:
Alpine CHA-S634 Changer
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...hanger-132692/
HELM Factory Shop/Electrical Manual
Sedan Type-F floor mats
Driver Side seat (free)
Throttle Body

Last edited by Avarice; 07-04-03 at 05:23 PM.
Avarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-03, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
thanks I was wondering how I was goignt og et mine done.
craveforawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-03, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I need to do some work behind my bumper is the bumper hard to remove and do I need help
roni-sei is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-03, 11:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car 1: 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T WE
Car 2: 2002 Honda S2000

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by roni-sei
I need to do some work behind my bumper is the bumper hard to remove and do I need help

Its easy if you have the right tools.

Contact me if you need the following:
Alpine CHA-S634 Changer
https://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...hanger-132692/
HELM Factory Shop/Electrical Manual
Sedan Type-F floor mats
Driver Side seat (free)
Throttle Body
Avarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

i did the same thing to my car...2 days after i got it...i had one the local body shops bolt in the bumper...now after 2 years the bumper is getting flimsy...its just time to get a whole new kit....but thanks for this thread..i wish i would of seen 2 years ago
UnSeEnLeGeNd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-04, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wink

Hey that info is so helpful. Thanks alot dude. I'm going to make a "repair my car" binder. add this info in it.

I had an automotive body shop. install my new body kit. ANd i was able to keep the stock bumper , and rear bumper.

NOw the tabs on the OEM bumpers. it seems that they cut the tabs inorder to remove it. NOw i have the OEM bumpers with a cut at each tab. I was wondering what i was going to do with that problem. But i found the answer

Thanks alot. YOUR info is so helpful!
phan_nam420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-04, 03:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

How to Remove the Bumper ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarice
Its easy if you have the right tools.

I really struggeled trying to figure out how to get my bumper off...and tried removing a bunch of the wrong things first.

Later I found out that the whole bumper comes off with four easily removable bolts....you just have to know where they are.

To access the four bolts, you have to remove the pop out square panels in the lower part of the bumper....one each side. You also have to remove the turn signal lenses.

Now you can access the four bolts (12mm, I think) with a socket and medium extension....then the whole bumper comes off ...snicker..snack!

Warren C
warren C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-05, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car 1: I35 Sedan
Car 2: 2004 Lincoln LS

Send a message via AIM to morbo
This is INCREDIBLY useful for me also, but I am curious about the plastic screws used to attach the bumper. I called my dealer and they said thgey are $4 a piece and come in sets of 13-but in the following pic:

The 2 plastic screws look to be different sizes. I only had one remaing screw when my bumper plopped off, so I do not know if I have the right kind to match up. Are all of those plastic screws (Acura called them 'Christmas Tree screws') the same size? Should I be able to match them with the 1 remaning I have???

http://ffejbomb.blogspot.com
CODEALARM CAR ALARM W/REMOTE START 4 SALE! PM OR EMAIL ME FOR INFO!!!
Keepin it real fo the SA
The Internet wasn't designed for ridicule. It was invented so researchers could share common data sets at University. It was I tell you.........it was. --Homer Simpson
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 legend coupe

I work with automotive plastics for a living. To properly replace the broken tabs you can find a local bumper repair shop and have them weld the tabs up for you. Once welded and ground down the tabs will be as strong as the original ones (well almost) and will be almost invisible when painted. It would take me 10 min to weld and grind all the tabs and it would cost a case of beer to get it done where I work :-) Hope this helps if you have any other questions about plastics then let me know since I have around 20 years of experience.
jmm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm67
I work with automotive plastics for a living. To properly replace the broken tabs you can find a local bumper repair shop and have them weld the tabs up for you. Once welded and ground down the tabs will be as strong as the original ones (well almost) and will be almost invisible when painted. It would take me 10 min to weld and grind all the tabs and it would cost a case of beer to get it done where I work :-) Hope this helps if you have any other questions about plastics then let me know since I have around 20 years of experience.

come down to colorado, ill buy you two cases of beer

what exactly would i look for in the yellow pages? bumper repair, automotive repair?
KokDahkJeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-05, 04:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Car 1: 1989 legend coupe

Two cases sounds good :p I assume you are in Denver you can try this place http://www.denverbumper.com/ I'm not sure how they will be but its worth a try. You should look under bumpers in your yellow pages (which I just did) or ask a body shop where they outsource their plastic to. Welding tabs is a very easy and quick task so don't let them overcharge you! Hmmm don't cases of beer in the US have 24 bottles? There are only 12 in our cases but they cost almost $20! Let me know if you need any other help.
jmm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-05, 04:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car 1: I35 Sedan
Car 2: 2004 Lincoln LS

Send a message via AIM to morbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KokDahkJeE
come down to colorado, ill buy you two cases of beer

what exactly would i look for in the yellow pages? bumper repair, automotive repair?
2 cases of our American beer is equivelent to 1/3rd of 1 case of Canadian beer. Might need about 10 cases to get the exchange rate right

http://ffejbomb.blogspot.com
CODEALARM CAR ALARM W/REMOTE START 4 SALE! PM OR EMAIL ME FOR INFO!!!
Keepin it real fo the SA
The Internet wasn't designed for ridicule. It was invented so researchers could share common data sets at University. It was I tell you.........it was. --Homer Simpson
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 02:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

ive been trying to remove my bumper, and so far to no avail, ive been looking for the 4 screws but i really dont understand where they are, does any body have pictures, ive taken alot of things out that have made the bumper loose but doesnt seem to want to come out

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren C
I really struggeled trying to figure out how to get my bumper off...and tried removing a bunch of the wrong things first.

Later I found out that the whole bumper comes off with four easily removable bolts....you just have to know where they are.

To access the four bolts, you have to remove the pop out square panels in the lower part of the bumper....one each side. You also have to remove the turn signal lenses.

Now you can access the four bolts (12mm, I think) with a socket and medium extension....then the whole bumper comes off ...snicker..snack!

Warren C
dude smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-06, 04:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

http://www.arnach.net/service/index....&z=1371&r=0756
KokDahkJeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-06, 03:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

jeez my tabs wont even touch so how can I glue them together? help!
dirty georgia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Shop Talk > DIYs