--Coolant Flow Problem (Again)-- - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-03, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
I like shiny
Breakout Champion

Car 1: 91 LS Coupe (GONE)
Car 2: Current-02 Corvette
Car 3: 94 LS Coupe (Bro's)

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Unhappy --Coolant Flow Problem (Again)--

Well, this morning after I washed my car I opened the hood to get out the excess water and noticed that my coolant overflow tank was full!! I have a new radiator and thermostat that were installed not too long ago. I did not have much time, but I went to my mechanic down the street and long story short he said to try and new radiator cap-but get an oem one from Acura. I went to the local Acura dealer and they had one in stock. I came home and after a little bit installed the new radiator cap.

Things to note:

1. New radiator

2. New thermostat

3. New radiator cap

4. My car did not overheat before this happened to my knowledge. I just pulled my car out and washed it.

5. In the Mcdonalds drive-through today the temp needle started to go up, then came back down after a sec, there is obviously air in the system.

Any help thoughts and insights would be appreciated!!

91LSMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-03, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
um, would bleeding the air help?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
I like shiny
Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin
um, would bleeding the air help?
Duh. But air should not be able to get into the system. I should not have to bleed the air out. I'm no mechanic-anyone have a pic of the "bleeder" nut, bolt-whatever it's called.

Old 08-15-03, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

i know everybody is going to jump on me for saying this but have the headgasket checked. any shop that does emissions can do a hydrocarbon test on your engine.

my experience-

i have a '96 3.2 tl and it is in mint condition w/ 105,000. one day i noticed that the overflow bottle was so full coolant was spilling out the top. i got a new rad. cap and bled the system. the next day i spotted a puddle of coolant under the car where the overflow bottle is located and of course the bottle was overflowing. i never saw white smoke at start-up and never smelled the 'sweet' smell of burning coolant. i had acura do a pressure test on the system for $90 and they found nothing wrong. after adding coolant and bleeding air every day or two and seeing the temp needle rise at idle i finally had the radiator replaced. that lasted for two days. i had a hydrocarbon test done and it gave a reading of 80. anything over 10 is bad. my symptoms were just like yours. get the test done and you will know if it is the headgasket or not.
darklegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-03, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car 1: 94 Milano Red LS coupe 6spd

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally posted by 91LSMAN
Duh. But air should not be able to get into the system. I should not have to bleed the air out. I'm no mechanic-anyone have a pic of the "bleeder" nut, bolt-whatever it's called.
Old 08-15-03, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
I like shiny
Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteLegend
Thanks-maybe tomorrow I'll feel lucky and try something with that. Does the car need to be running or anything?

I know questions like these have been asked, but when people answer they don't realize that some people don't really know the stuff under the hood.

I can make my Legend really shiny though!!!

Oh and I plan to have a compression test done, just to be sure.

Thanks guys!!

Old 08-15-03, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

i made a thread a while ago asking how to bleed the system. my car had the same problem never got it fixed tho, just got it wrecked first, lol my mech. said i need a new temp sending unit, and a good bleeding coudlnt hurt, now i got ANOTHER new rad after i messed up the last one i had, so it sat acura spec lets hope after i get everything fixed it will be fine
legendcoupe93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 12:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
I like shiny
Breakout Champion

Yeah, I realized that I don't even know what type of coolant my mechanic put in (could this be part of the problem?)-he works on all types of cars and I'm assuming that he does not keep Honda/Acura coolant around, so I think what I'm going to do is try to take it to Acura next week and have them flush the cooling system and do a compression test-yes I know dealerships suck, but they have never done anything wrong to me persoanally, except charge too much!!

Old 08-16-03, 12:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes!! I have the same problem! My car also overheated once or twice, right after I noticed the temp dropped back to normal again once I started driving. I have an aftermarket metal radiator. First, it overheats once, coolant tank full, my stupid attempt at bleeding ends up shooting lots of coolant - Long story short, overflow tank empties and I fill it up with new coolant, also fill the radiator. Then, I bled my coolant(but not 100% correctly) and my overflow tank filled again. Today I bled my coolant right but my overflow tank is still full and my radiator is a little low in coolant. How do I get coolant out of overflow tank and into radiator?

For bleeding coolant: Turn car on and let it warm up, turn on heater to 90 degrees and at least halfway blowing. Open the bleeder bolt a tiny bit(after temp guage has gotten to normal point). You should hear air whistling out, if you don't, no worries. Close up the bolt, take it for a hard ten minute drive. Repeat the bleeding process, right after drive, car still on. If air still doesn't whistle out(so only air, no coolant comes out for a while) take it for another drive(maybe 15 min) and bleed again. This should bleed your coolant and make you happy.. BTW, put a towel over your wrench and your arm so you don't get burned by coolant
CU-Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
How do I get coolant out of overflow tank and into radiator?
when the engine cooling system is serviced/working properly, as the car cools down, the fluid that's in the overflow reservoir should automatically be pulled back into the radiator. if not, something is wrong.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

fun, we'll talk about it tomorra
CU-Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-03, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
I like shiny
Breakout Champion

Well, I actually bled some air out of the system this morning. From what you guys are saying if there is a lot of air in the system air should be hissing out correct? When I did mine coolant was coming out. I let it go for a while, let the car cool down and then added coolant to the radiator. As far as I know (going to check again in a minute) I still have a full overflow tank.

I already have an appointment at Acura (I know I know-I hate dealerships also, but sometimes since Acura's are their specialty, they might be able to handle this better) on Tuesday to have the coolant system flushed out and looked at. I am going to tell them again when I drop off the car-look at the entire cooling system!!

They will also be doing a compression test just to be sure.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Old 08-18-03, 02:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Good luck. I just hope it isn't anything major. Let us know what they tell you.
ILOVELEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-03, 05:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
I like shiny
Breakout Champion

Well, I'll be dropping my car off in a couple hrs. Right now, after the new radiator cap, the overflow tank is not as full. It seems like that bad cap was the problem. I am still taking it in that way I can get Honda coolant and a compression test done, just to be sure.

Thanks Guys!!

Old 08-18-03, 05:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah, its better to be sure than have this nagging worry in your mind all the time. I Hope its just your radiator cap.
ILOVELEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)