I finally got my D2R's into my JDM's and.... - The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum
Acura Legend Forum Acura Legend Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)

Acura-Legend.com is the premier Acura Legend Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-04, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car 1: 1995 CDM Honda Legend Sedan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to takemorepills
I finally got my D2R's into my JDM's and....

Strange, my JDM's are exactly the same as my USDM's. Here is what I noticed about D2R's rebased to H4H.....

First off, there is NO way a H4 bulb or H4 HID kit can be made to fit without major rework into the H4H housing. Just thought I would clear that up since in H4H threads I ocassionally see people saying H4's can be slightly modded to replace H4H. Not even close.

JDM's make ALOT of RIGHT-HAND flare!! Because I used a USDM D2R bulb (it is shielded at 3:30 and 9:30) I think it negated the left-hand flare of JDM's. My beams are staright ahead, but my right hand flare is just as bad as my USDM's with corrected 9006 HID kit.

On ground performance is same as USDM. I used 4100K Phillips bulbs, so light output is whicked and medium range, with typical hotspots in front of the car. I have a good cut-off similar to halogen, but the optics are over-saturated with intense light. So, basically I am surprised people don't flash me, because EVERYTHING about my headlights is whicked bright, even looking at the reflection of light in my bumper is retina burning. I do have good beam because 90% of the light is on the road, but all the scatter is probably excessive.

I have shielded the lamps in my 2nd attempt. I shielded completely from 2:45 to 9:15 to eliminate side flare, and I would say side flare is controlled, and the glare overall was cut by 50%. Pretty much as good as it gets. Also, I painted the shield flat black, so now my headlamp color has no more yellow from the lamp dopant, which colors the lower part of the bulb's output yellow. Now the light output is a very pleasing mostly white, tint of purple light, as it should be.

Anyway, I basically have halogen beam pattern that is bright as he77. Time to move on to bi-xenons. I bought a set of bi-xenons.

If anyone wants 4100K Phillips HID and Hella ballast, make me offer. The lamps are professionally rebased. I had a machine shop machine the bases off of my H4H bulbs and re-machine the D2R base to accept them. less than 20 hours on kit by the time my bi-xenons are in. Yes, they are beam corrected and even shielded, no one else can say that about their H4H HID's!!
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-04, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
do you by chance have pix of the work you did on the bulbs? --=Keith
KeithQNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-04, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

PICS

I will pull the bulbs out and get pics of 'em when I start on the Bi-Xenons.

BTW, the D2R bases were machined to same diameter as H4H base, so the weather boot from the JDM's makes a weather tight seal on the base.

Why H4 and H4H are not interchageable

Another view

front view

White, not blue!

On the wall

No fogs

H4H JDM weather boot fits on back of modded D2R bulb

Old 01-14-04, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dv8
Life Ruiner

Car 1: 08' Lexus IS-F
Car 2: 91' 3.5 Hybrid Turbo
Car 3: 92'Yukon/06'Trailer

iTrader Score: 12 reviews
about 2yrs ago when i had to do that mod i just cut up the plastic around the bulb and stuck it in with some nicly shaped tape.

I dont care if i blind people, they should all be behind me anyway

~Tru Hybrid
Dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-04, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dv8
about 2yrs ago when i had to do that mod i just cut up the plastic around the bulb and stuck it in with some nicly shaped tape.

I dont care if i blind people, they should all be behind me anyway

~Tru Hybrid
I thought about doing that toooo. But, luckily I have a machine shop next door to me that I am on good terms with

My prob is in Seattle it rains alot, there are alot of tight 2-way streets with no street lights. So, the poor visibilty, no contrasting street lights and the tight streets makes it difficult to feel "OK" about driving around with 3200 lumens of light blazing out of a headlight designed to support 900 lumens. I rarely get high-beamed, in fact I got high beamed with regular USDM's...so who knows if it is annoying. I may just stick with what I have with encouraging words like yours.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

The Acura Legend & Acura RL Forum > Acura Legend > Second Generation Legend (1991-1995)